Sunday, February 24, 2008

Interview with Jasmine Haynes/Jennifer Skully/JB Skully


*** CONTEST***
I am elated to have Jennifer Skully/ Jasmine Haynes/ JB Skully as a feature on my interview site! I love her to pieces! After her book It Must Be Magic I was hooked. I do have to confess that we’ve made great friends online and she seems to be a wonderful online friend…but…I get to meet her in person this September at Lora Leigh’s Readers Appreciation Weekend (RAW 2008) and that is going to be so awesome! I highly recommend you read her books! Somebody’s Lover is one that I tell everyone they must read! I swear it was one of my all time favorite books! Now that I’ve rambled on about how great she is, you should probably get to her interview LOL! Oh and she’s also having a contest for a copy of her book The Fortune Hunter (which is also awesome) Just leave a comment up until Midnight Sunday (Mar 2) and she will choose a winner from all the posts.
Make sure to leave your email addy after the post!

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

JH: Thanks for having me, Crystal! Ah, my genres, I write erotic romance as Jasmine Haynes. My latest book, The Fortune Hunter, received a JERR Gold Star Award, and the sequel, Show and Tell, is out in July 2008. As Jennifer Skully, I write quirky romantic mysteries and my latest is It Must Be Magic. As JB Skully, I’ve created the Max Starr series, mystery, romance, psychics, ghosts, that one has it all. And gosh, why do I write these stories? The characters just seem to talk to me. I’ve always loved a good romance and a good mystery. That’s why I write different kinds of romance, too, so I can feed the mystery side as well.


CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

JH: Honestly, I’ve always been a writer, even when I was a child. I’ve known forever that’s what I wanted to do. As far as making it a career, it’s not an easy thing to break into, so I became an accountant instead. However, I never gave up the dream and wrote in the evenings.


CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

JH: My inspiration was Marguerite Henry. She wrote wonderful horse stories. As a child I read every one of them. There was also Albert Payson Terhune, who wrote stories about collies. Again, I read them all, and I knew I wanted to write, too.


CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

JH: When I have a deadline, I generally work 7 days a week, although I might take a day off for coffee with a friend or to visit my mom. I have a goal of 10 pages a day, and it usually takes me about 4 or 5 hours to do that. And if I get more pages done, that’s great!


CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

JH: Terrified!


CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

JH: I love to read, of course, and I love classic movies, too. My collection is almost 1,000 now! Thank goodness for Turner Classic Movie channel! I also love to hike or go to the beach. My dog loves a long walk on the beach, but the waves scare her!


CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

JH: Between all three names, I have 17 books out, and two in the can almost ready for release. I think my favorite is the Max Series. Though there are actually 5 books in the series and each is a stand-alone murder mystery, I consider them one story because they follow the evolution of Max Starr’s healing after her husband is murdered, how she comes to terms with losing him, and discovering why he was murdered. And of course, there’s a hunky detective, Witt Long, the new man in her life. I always envisioned Max’s whole character arc, not just each individual story.


CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

JH: They’re totally from my imagination. I get bogged down in facts and personality quirks if I base my characters on real people. I don’t even like to use the names of people I know because I get influenced by that.


CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

JH: The JB Skully Max series is available through
http://www.liquidsilverbooks.com and of course, anyone can go to my site, http://www.skullybuzz.com and there are buy links all over the place! Plus excerpts, a contest, movie trailers and lots of other fun stuff. I also have a newsletter for updates on new releases. To subscribe, send an e-mail to skullybuzz-subscribe@yahoogroups.com And of course, I love e-mails, send to skully@skullybuzz.com

What a fun interview, Crystal, with great questions! Thank you!

CA: No, No, thank you Jennifer! You’re such a great person and the ones that have not read your books have no idea what they’re missin’!! If you would like to read the book reviews I have posted just visit these links…

Somebody’s Lover: http://bookreviewsbycrystal.blogspot.com/2007/08/somebodys-lover-three-sensual-tales-by.html

It Must Be Magic: http://bookreviewsbycrystal.blogspot.com/search?q=jennifer+skully

The Fortune Hunter: http://bookreviewsbycrystal.blogspot.com/2007/11/fortune-hunter-by-jasmine-haynes-print.html

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The interview got me real curious about the books. I'm gonna see if I can get any here in the Netherlands.

Ans

(Crystal knows my e-mail address)

Anonymous said...

Good to see you Ans! I am a huge fan of her books! That is a great thing to try and get them in the Netherlands!!

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Skully and Crystal--this is one of those fun moments where I find out two of my friends know each other!

Skully and I met years ago at an RWA event...and she even gave me an acknowledgement in SHEER DYNAMITE! And Crystal reviewed PROM DRESS last year, and periodically warms my heart with news and pictures of her little boy.

Anyway, hello to you both, and great interview about Jennifer's great books!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jasmine! Your books sound very intriguing .. and wow, 10 pages a day! I can't imagine giving myself a goal like that (I work a fulltime day job and am raising 3 teenagers on my own).. If I did, I'd be setting myself up for failure for sure! It's great that you're dedicated and focused enough to be able to do that!!! Keep up the good work and happy reading AND writing!

MJ Allaire
YA Fantasy Author

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thanks so much for having me, Crystal! And you are a doll. I can't wait to meet you in September!

Tina! I'm so glad you stopped by. And isn't it a small world! Just to let you all know, Tina gave me the best score ever in a contest for a prepublished book I'd entered. Her comments really kept me going when it was so hard to sell. And that book did finally get published as Drop Dead Gorgeous! And so here we are both published now! So cool.

MJ, I can only do 10 pages because I work at it full time. I don't have children either. When I was working, I did 3 pages a day! So I bet you're doing great with whatever your goal is.

Ans, I hope you can find the books in The Netherlands!

Thanks to everyone stopping by! And to Crystal, you're the greatest!

Jasmine
http://www.skullybuzz.com

Anonymous said...

Your books sound intriguing and I look forward to checking them out. :)

Great interview Crystal.

Dawn
Owner-LR Cafe

Anonymous said...

What a great! It must be very interesting writing as two different authors.

Do you do anything special to get into the mindset of either or does it just naturally flow?

Of course you have to have both erotica and ghosts - now I have to read both! LOL

More great books to add to my "read" list!

Don't tell Crystal I told you but she's bouncing off the walls about RAW and meeting you ;) I hope you both have a lovely time! If it wasn't so far away I would come join you!

spooky-gal@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great interview. The book sounds fantastic! :-D

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thank you, all, I'm so glad you're finding the books intriguing.

I don't actually do anything to get into the different personas, Ravenn. It's the books themselves that do that. Different stories come to mind, and they sort of just fall into a particular slot for me. But please, I hope I don't get anymore personalities! three is enough.

And I'm also looking forward to meeting Crystal at RAW. We are going to have so much fun!

Jasmine
http://www.skullybuzz.com

Unknown said...

I am not one to read Romance Novels, but if Crystal says it is good, you have my attention.

EW Bradfute
The Mortal Vampire

Anonymous said...

Okay, Crystal...now I'm interested in reading her books. Thanks for another great interview.

Anonymous said...

Wow everyone! Thanks for stopping by and making me and Jennifer smile :O) She is a great author and I guarantee that I will read ALL of her books over and over again! She writes amazing tales of love, eroticism, romance, and tears. I swear I cried at the end of each story in Somebody's Lover. And if a book can make me cry, and feel hot all at the same time..well it is a winner!!
I can't thank you all enough for stopping by to post!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to have found your site. I loved the interview and hope to read the book. I just need to find enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do. I'm adding a link to your blog on mine and recommending all my author friends pay you a visit. Be prepared for an onslaught of review requests and interviews. *lol*

Ginger
http://mizging.blogspot.com

Zinnia said...

LOL, coffee with a friend is a definite must, but having coffee period is essential to most writers! One must have coffee to write, lol.

Anonymous said...

the books sounds great. love the cover.
congrats on teh great reviews

kim h

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

And Crystal has talked about The Mortal Vampire, too! So you've got my attention, EW!

Thank so much to all of you for stopping by and reading the interview. I'm so glad the books sound interesting. And if you haven't checked out Crystal's review blog, you must see that, too! Thank you, Crystal!

Jasmine
http://www.skullybuzz.com

Anonymous said...

HI Everyone! Thanks so much to all that have posted this week! And for those that have found a new author to add to their lists! Jennifer is wonderful and she truly is a genuine sweetie! I look forward to meeting her in person to relate her real personality to her book personalities :)
Thank you again Jennifer for being here this week! Lots of love!

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

And thank you for having me, Crystal. It was a pleasure and I enjoyed all the comments.

Since I don't think I'll be awake at midnight (I'm a morning person!), check back tomorrow morning when I'll post the winner of a copy of The Fortune Hunter.

Jasmine Haynes
http://www.skullybuzz.com

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

And the winner is, drum roll please, Ravenn!!!!! Congratulations, Ravenn, you've won a copy of The Fortune Hunter. I'll email you for your snail mail address.

Thanks to Crystal for having me and thanks to all of you who stopped by!

Jasmine Haynes
http://www.skullybuzz.com