Sunday, February 3, 2008

Interview With *Birthday Boy* Denis Sheehan



**** NEW NEWS CONTEST ADDED*******
Since Denis won't share his birthday cake with me and you guys, I went out and bought a sweet little treat for all those that post this week! So if you still want in on that free chocolate action...and have not posted....post a comment right now! I will choose a winner Sunday, and then let the winner know so that the sweet treat can be mailed out on Monday! DON'T Forget to leave your email address on your blog post!!Hugs, Crystal
CA: I would like to start off by wishing Denis Sheehan, author of A Nobody's Nothings, a very Happy Birthday! I told him in honor of that he could have his very own special week. I have had the pleasure of laughing at his antics from converstions, and throughout his interview I giggled quite a few times. Thank you so much Denis for taking the time out to do this interview! OH, before I forget....Denis says if you purchase his book and mention this interview you will get an uber cool bottle opener/ wine key. Being the reviewer I got in on that action and love my bottle opener...as I don't drink wine LOL! So go and buy his book! Here's the interview:

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

DS: My writing includes everything from metaphorical stories to real life experiences to poetry that’ll make you gag and everything in between. One story in my book is a metaphor about how I think the Catholic Church treated my mom when a priest, at the end of his homily said, “if you get divorced, then you are going to hell.” I was sitting next to my Mother, who was in the middle divorcing my drunkard abusive father, and will never forget the look on her face. Here was a beat up woman raising three young kids on her own, busting her tail at night as a waitress, and still managing to bring three brats to church every Sunday. Try as hard as she did, the Catholic Church still passed judgment on her. Another story details my guest appearance on The Oprah Winfry Show, and there’s the poem that won $75 while also getting me banned from future contests. I write to just get it out of me whether it’s to help sooth my soul or maybe help the reader better deal with crap that’s going on in his or her life, or help them forget it for a bit. On the flip side, I’ve had personal experiences that I am crass enough to think others will find entertaining or shocking or, well, gross. One reader told me my book, A Nobody’s Nothings, “porks all sorts of emotions.” I really like that up and down flow of the book and I also like to think that the reader is always guessing what is real and what is just my imagination.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

DS: When I was in grade school, I use to write all sorts of stories just for the fun of it, but never really took it too seriously and never thought about writing for anything other than fun, and to goof on my friends. I remember writing a fact-based essay about why Bo Derek was my hero and feeling annoyed when I discovered I had received an F for my efforts. It was a well-written essay and addressed the topic, but I guess parochial schools frown upon a 7th grader detailing bikini-clad lovelies. Now that I think of it, I remember enjoying being able to piss people off with words and relished the idea. About ten years ago, I started publishing a music/movie/book ‘zine called Askew Reviews and that’s when I started taking things more seriously, if that’s the right word for it. I started off writing reviews and small columns, and then graduated to short and not so short stories. I’ve also started a novel, which should be interesting to see how that progresses.

CA:
Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

DS: My Grandfather use to write all the time, but he never had the attention span or patience to actually finish anything. I remember as a child listening to his story telling and being amazed at his wonderful descriptions and flare for words. He wrote the same way, but was able to better verbally communicate his thoughts at length as opposed to writing them down. A guy named Jim Testa, Jersey Beat fanzine fame, also had influence on me as he was the first to publish stuff written by me: cd reviews and short stories. His confidence in my writing gave me confidence to continue with writing which has led to my zine and the book. Oddly enough, Jim also motivated me to branch out on my own when he edited some content in a short story I had written. I wasn’t angry about the edit, but I did not like knowing that the full story, though the point of the piece was fully intact, wasn’t in front of the readers’ eyes.

CA:
What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

DS: I write all the time, but I get the meat and most creative parts done from 12AM to about 5AM, as I am a night owl. I’ll go out to a local pub, have a few drinks, come home, put on some music, and disappear into a notebook or keyboard. I am lucky enough to have a great day-non writing- job that gives me lots of free time to work on my personal writing, and freelance work, to lay the groundwork for ideas, thoughts, and other junk I want to write about. Come nighttime, I tear into the stuff I jotted down during the daylight hours. Writing is amazing as it makes time fly by so quickly. It is not a rare occurrence for me to sit down at midnight, then six minutes later see the sun shine through my window.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

DS: Proud. My first book was published Sept 2007 and the sense of accomplishment was insane. Writing it was hard, and fun, but I was proud that I actually stuck with it and got it done. The feeling I got holding the finished product in my hand is something I wish everyone could feel. I was also nervous due to some if my book’s personal content and how it would be handled by my family, which is why I have a disclaimer at the beginning of the book for my Mother and Aunts to “please stop reading.”

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

DS: Being a single dad of a six-year-old girl, life revolves around her and I absolutely love it. I am one of the lucky single dads as I have my daughter 90% of the time and really enjoy doing stuff with or simply hanging with her. On the days I am free from daddy responsibilities, you can find me at a local lighthouse fishing, reading, and drinking beer out on the jetty. I love the ocean and everything about it, except for sunburns. I have the skin tone of a urinal. Then of course, there’s the local pub and the not so local pubs I frequent with friends.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

DS: I have written one book, A Nobody’s Nothings, and published 12 ‘zines (lucky 13 out soon). I have a book of letters/responses that will hopefully be published by the middle of 2008; the writing part is completed, I just have to compile it and get it ready to go. I think A Nobody’s Nothings will always remain my favorite as it was my first, and we all know the emotions tied with “the first one.”

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

DS: A Nobody’s Nothings is made up of stories that are fiction and nonfiction, but real people, reality, and truth creeps into everything I write; which is somewhat frightening if you read my stuff. One of my stories, “Time,” is based on my cousin meeting his father at his favorite pub to give him a sentimental retirement gift, but things did not go as he had hoped. I recall my cousin telling me the story and how much it bothered him, but he didn’t go into detail. I always felt for my cousin and decided to write the story through the eyes of a female barfly, but added what I thought may have been missed by my cousin. Then again, my novel will be pure imagination.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

DS: Feel free to visit boneprint.com or email me at boneprint@gmail.com.
Or snail mail $10 to
Bone Print Press
PO Box 684
Hanover, MA 02339
Reviewers can request a book and I am always up for interviews.
Thanks for taking time to read my nonsense!

CA: Thank you so much Denis for a wonderful interview. You sound so laid back and a genuinely fun guy. I hope to hear more from you in the future. And now that we’ve become email stalkers, I am sure I will LOL!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Sir! May you have many more. One line struck me "Your line about stick to it!" I heartedly agree with you. I have people all the time tell me that they are going to write a book! But at least you & I stuck to it enough to get 1 published in your case 2 in mine. I do believe the road to hell is paved with numerous good attentions. I don't have to tell you Sir, but you done it! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Bobby R.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Bobby! So good to see you visiting! I may have to send you a little box of chocolates for being faithful LOL!
I agree sticking to it is the key, and don't lose sight of your goal! Denis will be in later and I'm sure he'll appreciate your comment :)
Hugs, Crystal

Denis Sheehan said...

bobby, thanks for the birthday wishes!

Amy C said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!

Happy, Happy Birthday!

Ok, good thing these are typed words and not me actually singing! But out of kindness, I would supply you with ear plugs!

Great interview! Your book sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out :).

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I loved this interview - it was unique and fascinating. I can completely relate to your mother's experience with the Catholic church - that is why when people ask me what religion I am I always say a "recovering Catholic." I love the way you look at life and then use it to create your stories. Your book sounds very interesting and I've added it to my "to read" list. I wish you much success!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Excellent interview, both of you. A pleasure to read, and I look forward to reading your work.

Devon
Ink in My Coffee

Douglas A. Waltz said...

Having read this book from cover to cover twice I have to say it is one of my favorite.

Lisa McMann said...

Nice interview!

Anonymous said...

Denis, Happy Birthday!!! Inspiring interview-STICK TO IT! I will check out your work for sure. My interview is posted on this wonderful pages as well. Best of luck in all your writing adventures!
Scorpius

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for replying! I love you all :) Denis may even share some cake with you. He didn't even offer me a slice :(
Scorpius, thank you for posting as well...he was featured a couple weeks ago and I am soon to review his book :)
Oh and I'm due to review Lisa's as well!!

Anonymous said...

Great interview Crystal and Denis. I've read A Nobody's Nothings and really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

congratulations, denis! no one ever interviews me...

k rod

Anonymous said...

k-rod...but your book is better than mine, so it all evens out!

Anonymous said...

K Rod, get a hold of me and I'll interview you :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on single dad, plus a writer!

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Crystal I must tell you that you got my attention with the word *Chocolate* Yummy count me in for a chocolate treat heehee.

Great interview Thanks for introducing me to another new to me author will check Denis books out.

Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To Denis, Happy Birthday To You.

Hugssss
LindaH

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Oops forgot to put my email addy readingissomuchfun@yahoo.com

Hugssss
LindaH

Unknown said...

picture maryilyn monrose, singing
happy birthday!

now u wouldnt even be close to what i sound like, but happy birtday babe!

Anonymous said...

Hello and Happy Birthday, Denis!

I have read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit, there are few things I have read that caused me to blush! I look forward to your next book and your zine.

Best of Luck!
mjohnson2046@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Am I eligible for the treats? My treats…give!- denis

Anonymous said...

Thanks Meg and Reading is so much fun! Denis is a riot.

DENIS...you don't share you're cake so nope I'm not sharing the chocolate with you :P
Next time you'll share won't you?!

Anonymous said...

Denis, Happy Birthday! Crystal, another wonderful interview! It sounds like Denis has the perfect life going on... A beautiful daughter, he's happy in his day job, AND he finds the time to socialize AND write at night!

Denis, good luck with your future writing endeavors and Crystal, keep the interviews coming! Thanks for sharing!

MJ Allaire

Anonymous said...

HI MJ! Denis is lucky ;) and he's a little silly to boot! He's still trying to weasle this sweet treat away from me...even though he REFUSES to share that big ol cake!

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Aww Crystal I be happy to share cake with you. How about a chocolate cake for V-Day heehee.

Hugssss
LindaH

Anonymous said...

oh, all right. There is one piece left from last Sunday and I think my sick nephew sneezed on it, but I am sure it is still tasty. I’ll drop it in the mail Monday morning!

Anonymous said...

Linda, you're on!
Denis.....sooo gross, you can keep it, Linda and I are going to share a chocolate cake! nannaaaaannnaaaaaannnnaaa

Anonymous said...

HELLO~~ I am here to post the winner of the sweet treat! The winner is.... MEG72778!! Congrats!!

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

LOL Crystal yup chocolate cake it is heehee.

Congrad's MEG72778

Hugssss
LindaH

Anonymous said...

no fairsies! i'm sure my daughter will get some candy come val's day; i'll just swipe some of hers!

huge thanks for posting my interview crystal!

Anonymous said...

I won candy? Yay!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg, I have emailed you twice, I need your mailing addy to send your chocolate to. You only have a till Tues. Feb 19 to respond or it defalts to someone else :)