Sunday, February 10, 2008

Interview with Author Geri Ahearn




I can guarantee most of you don’t know this, but as of recently Author Geri Ahearn and I have become wonderful friends and she’s decided to accept me as her internet adopted daughter LOL! I just love her to pieces, she is a sweetheart through and through and we always have to send each other one message a day to make sure neither of us are MIA LOL! Take a look at Geri’s interview and leave her a comment or question and she will drop in from time to time to answer you!

CA:
What Genre(s) do you write?

GA: I've written, and had published three books of poetry, two children's books, and one book of humor about children.

CA: Why do you write the stories that you write?

GA: Through the last fifteen years, I found that writing poetry for me was not only a stress-reliever, but it was an art of self-expression, a great way of venting bottled-up feelings and a substitute for pain killers during an unexpected crisis in my life.
Through thirty years in Nursing, referring specifically to
the years when I floated onto pediatric units in the hospital, and worked for severely handicapped children, I always read books to the children. I read to them, even on days I was not scheduled to work. Sometimes, I'd be working on a different unit such as med/surg, but on my breaks, I'd visit the children and read to them. My gift to them was usually a funny story.
The smile on their little faces was worth a million dollars, which was my reward. These children, and one of my daughters who is also a disability since birth, have inspired me to write for children.

"From America's future Leaders" was written simply as
another way of saying, "Laughter is the best medicine."
When I watched the movie "Patch Adams" if I recall
the title of that movie with Robin Williams, the moral
of the story is exactly the reason I just quoted. When
viewing that movie, my inner thoughts came to life.
In the countless years I spent as a medication Nurse, administering sometimes ten or twelve pills to a patient per Doctor's order, I realized medication is needed without a doubt for important medical reasons, such as controlling the patient's blood pressure, or prevention of clots.

But, I also learned that combined with lifesaving
medication was a need for T.L.C. Tender loving care
meaning Not treating the patient like a number in the
grocery store was as important as those pills and injections.
I learned in thirty years of Nursing that the will to live
and become strong to survive is the result of two essential factors. Proper medical treatment, combined with loving care will nurture almost any ailments, emergencies, and progress in healing in many diseases for the exception of the terminally ill.

That was one of the reasons why I wrote that book. The second book is the reason is that I've always loved kids. I learned that millions of children out there are just little people, with great minds, and kind hearts. Most of them simply need what adults need love and respect.



CA: When Did You Realize You Wanted to Be a Writer?

GA: It was always a silent, secret hidden inside of me as
a child, perhaps at about age twelve. I knew that living thefast-paced life growing-up actually overnight, that this secret hidden behind a closed door would not open for me for many years, of course life gets in the way. But, I also knew that what we see in life was going to be the key many years later, which would open that door. I began working at age fifteen, devoting most of my
life to helping people. Experience of what you see, and living life are essential ingredients to writing that book. A writer can do years of research to write on a certain topic, but the best knowledge on any topic is first-hand experience.

CA: Who Or What Was Your Inspiration For Writing?

GA: My Dad was my hero, my strength, and my inspiration for writing.
He basically taught me to believe in myself, to get up quickly when I fall, and to never quit. He taught me how to survive through the storms, and when things get tough to focus on good memories.

I followed his footsteps in his mission in life to help others, and give all you can, without ever expecting anything in return. I learned from him and living life that life's greatest rewards are not materialistic, not something we can purchase in a store. Life's greatest rewards are earned through self-satisfaction, love, and respect. My Dad was my inspiration to write poetry.

A terminally ill child of age three was my inspiration to write for children. He was the reason for my first children's book, "The Nurse In The Purse" which I became determined to make a series. I used to read to him, even on days not scheduled to work. He loved "The Cat In The Hat" by Dr. Seuss. He could barely move, but his smile was worth a million dollars when I read to him. After his passing, the book was published and made a series in his memory.

CA: What is Your Work Schedule Like When You’re Writing?

GA: I began laughing out loud as my first initial response to this question. Writing is a discipline, which requires learned behavior.

There are millions of writers out there who must toss and juggle their writing life, and their careers. Most writers are not fortunate to live the leisure world of just writing. Most writers must balance two separate lives, career and writing. May I also include
family responsibilities. If one does not balance the two lives, something will be lacking. Either that book we started fifteen years ago will be loaded with dust, buried in a box, or we will faithfully work on writing like an obsession, and wind up hurting financially.
If writing and career, including family obligations are not balanced, the end result can lead to insanity. In all due respect, our mental health is as important as our physical well being. One simply does not work without the other. Discipline is a great guide, along with
drawing a line to mental health vacations. These vacations don't have to be expensive. A few days, perhaps a week at just total rest and relaxation.

My work schedule is busy, I'm a single Mom, and run a business. However, at least two days a week, I'm writing something towards a new project, perhaps my next installment for my children's book.

CA: Your Book Is About To Be Sent Into The Reader World, What
Is One Word That Describes How You Feel?

GA: HIGH......A Natural High--as if I just had three glasses of red wine, or one pina colata.

CA: What Do You Like to Do When You Are Not Writing?

GA: Gardening has been my hobby for over twenty-five years. I love nature, walks, and the great outdoors. I like reading, and love spending time with my daughter, and Pepper who is one adorable Poodle.

CA: How Many Books have you Written?

GA: A total of 6.

The Titles Are The Following: INSPIRATIONS, WORDS TO LIVE BY,
LIFE'S POETIC JOURNEY, THE NURSE IN THE PURSE-(book 1)
Introduction. THE NURSE IN THE PURSE-VOLUME 1. FROM
AMERICA'S FUTURE LEADERS.

CA: Which Is Your Favorite?

GA: My Children's series- "The Nurse In The Purse."

CA: Do You Tend to Base your Characters on real People, or are
they totally from your imagination?

GA: I base my characters on real people in most of my writing.

CA: How Can A Reader Contact You, Or Purchase Your Books?

GA: The Following Books can be purchased by contacting the Author
At:
PoetessGeri@aol.com

Inspirations--(chapbook) poetry

Words To Live By--(chapbook) poetry

The Nurse In The Purse-book 1(introduction) book 1

The Following Books can be purchased at these Websites:

Life's Poetic Journey- Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble.com, AuthorHouse.com

The Nurse In The Purse-Volume 1- Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble.com,
AuthorHouse.com

From America's Future Leaders- Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble.com,
AuthorHouse.com

Also, if the reader contacts the author & requests a certain book--
any book sold on other websites--the author may have copies on
hand to offer special discounts. Please Contact:
PoetessGeri@aol.com
Links to my websites are:

www.authorofpoetryandchildrensbooks.com

www.myspace.com/geri_ahearn

www.authorgeriahearnsbookreviews.blogspot.com

Also, I have been published in several anthologies in the last
ten years at:

www.poetworks.com

CA: Thank you so much Geri for taking time out of your super busy schedule to interview with little ‘ol me! You know I love ya!!

11 comments:

Author Geri Ahearn said...

First and Most Important, I wish
to take this opportunity to Thank you very much for your time and
hard work spent in creating this
Blog & Including me. It's very much
Appreciated! Also--to do what you
do on a daily routine for Authors
is Amazing--Remarkable. It's takes
someone Special to do what you do--
in such acts of Kindness. I hope that Each & Every Author that You
helped with Promos Appreciates You
As much as I do---And I'm sure they
do! You Light up the World Kiddo
& You ROCK! Thank you for being you!
Hugs, Geri XOXO

Anonymous said...

"I found that writing poetry for me was not only a stress-reliever...and a substitute for pain killers during an unexpected crisis in my life."

This is so very true. The stories I write are from my imagination. The poetry I write comes from deep within, expressing feelings that I keep hidden away.

Writing poetry keeps me sane.

I loved reading your interview and learning more about you. You are an inspiration and all of the lives you have touched through your nursing have been enriched.

I look forward to reading your poetry. Much success to you.

Anonymous said...

HI Geri and Ravenn! Hope you ladies are having fun chatting about without me LOL!
Thanks Rav for posting, and Geri thank you for being my myspace adopted mom (lol) and being here this week!
Ravenn, on my review blog I have posted 3 reviews for Geri's books do a search for her name and enjoy the reviews :) From Americas Future Leaders is my fav :)

Zinnia said...

My two youngest adore their children's books. The middle one reads every YA book about horses there is.

Author Geri Ahearn said...

Thank you Ravenn for your kind
comments & for taking the time to
read. I love Poetry...especially
Inspirational...because it kind
of gives the Reader a Lift--Spirit
& is Peaceful to the Heart & Soul!
I know that after writing well over
500 poems...I always felt good
afterwards...And Thank Goodness--that's how many who read my Inspirational Poetry felt. Over the
years..I have tried different forms
of Poetry...I think to write it--
one must really Enjoy it. Since I
was a teen--I was always fascinated
with the work of many Poets. It is
an Art that many Poets out there
have Mastered--Bravo to them to
share the Enjoyment of Great work
with Readers...

Author Geri Ahearn said...

I know wht U mean Zinnia when U
stated how much your youngest enjoy
their children's books. During the
time I was Creating "The Nurse In
The Purse" A young girl by the name
of Shandi....was age 6 at the time.
She was my first little opinion
maker--so adorable & I just let her
become my helper at book signings
etc. Volume 2 will be dedicated
to Shandi because she inspired me
to make it a series...
Amazing wht u said about
one of your children loving books about horses...My Oldest daughter
always loved horses...from when
she was a little girl--horse books..horse calendars--little
toy horses---remember.."My Little
Pony?" Sheesh! I found myself
in Toys R US every week>>LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Geri, thanks so much for stopping in and replying to the lovely readers ;)
Hope all is well with you! Happy Valentines Day!!

Anonymous said...

You my dear woman are an inspiration to us struggling writers and authors. May you continue to help people! Bobby R.

Author Geri Ahearn said...

In response to anonymous...Thank you very much! What a Nice thing
to say...That's where I have to
say that I followed my Dad's
footsteps since I was about 10.
He always helped everyone & was
such as Inspiration to me. I always
felt a need to help others--Nursing
& in all walks of life. My dad was
on a mission--I thought of him as
my Guardian Angel--A Saint indeed!
I have No regrets in following his
path!
And Crystal...HAPPY
VALENTINE'S DAY....U Are such
a Little Doll!
RelaxingGeri

PS Is there a Starbucks around
here? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Doll, from the other comments you are primarily a poetess, but also enjoy children. I also believe the touch of a caring perosn, such as yourself, will soothe the pain, ease the suuffering and molify all complaning. You my dear have a magic touch one can certainly admire and envy! Bobby aka BobbyRobert (takes hat off to YOU!!!

Author Geri Ahearn said...

Thanx Bobby for your kind comment,
I know that people helping other
people is what the world needs,
especially in today's day & age.
I'm hiding out here tonight--Crystal is Sleeping--Shhhh--LOL!
I'm destressing because I posted
a zillion bulletins on Myspace
& Not one have yet shown up....So
i came here with Coffee at 11pm
to calm my Myspace nerves LOL!
I do feel at home here--Wishing U
all a Great day tomorrow & please
u guys--don't wake me up early--
LOL! Blessings!
Geri