Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kevin Hughes


Author Pen Name: Charles Porter for Just Another Shade of Blue, but Kevin Hughes for the latest ones.

CA: How did you choose your pen name?

KH: It’s a combination of my middle name, a nickname and the nickname of the aunt who raised my mother. But I only used it for my first novel until I found an agent and she convinced me that using my real name was better for marketing, at least on the local level.

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

KH: Well, I suppose the official genre is mystery/ thriller/ suspense, but Casualty Crossing would also fit into the character study category. I write about what I know and my day job affords me a lot of experiences that generate some very interesting plots. Fiction seems to be my forte and one of the reasons I prefer to write a tale versus nonfiction is because I’m the one who decides the ending.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

KH: I was never much of a reader until I was 18 and read The New Centurions by Joseph Wambaugh. He’s the writer who made me a dedicated reader and it was around that time that I just knew deep inside I would write a novel one day.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

KH: Hmm … that’s hard to explain. Something inside of me triggered the urge and once I started, I was hooked.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

KH: Absolutely insane.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

KH: Accomplished.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

KH: Getting published. The book biz is brutal and although you expose a little of yourself in your work, you can’t (at least that’s what I’m told) take the rejections and criticism personal.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

KH: I love my day job, so I’m very lucky. When I’m not working, I enjoy reading and traveling.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

KH: I’ve written three and the fourth will be released in 2010. My favorite? That’s tough, because in a way all of them are my favorite, but I think for now it’s Dogging Truth. But, when Archer is released next year, I have a hunch that might go to the top of the list … at least until I write the one that follows.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

KH: My standard and straight-faced response is that all of my characters are fictional. (Okay, perhaps they’re influenced a little by my life experience.)

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

KH:If you are truly a writer, never give up. Ever. And while you’re at it, find a good editor—it’s worth the expense.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

KH: Gee, I just happen to have a few links: my email is Kevin@kevinhugheswrites.com; to order my novels you can hit my website for links at http://www.kevinhugheswrites.com/ or through my publisher at http://www.stonegarden.net/. Amazon also lists my stuff and most bookstores will be happy to order any of the titles you choose. (Naturally, I suggest you purchase all of them and if you like them, post your comments on the Amazon site.)

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

KH: Yeah, Crystal Adkins rocks.

CA: LOL, thanks Kevin : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview also read the review. When will Dogging Truth be out?

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I am a TV production researcher with m2 Pictures in Hampton, VA. I am trying to reach Mr. Kevin Hughes, and the email addresses he listed are not valid any longer.

It might be a long shot, but if you know of another way to contact him, please let me know! I am interested in talking with him about one of his cases.

Great interview--definitely enjoyed it!

Thanks--

Lauren Horton
lhorton@m2-pictures.com
757-722-1400 x235