Monday, June 30, 2008

Interview with Linda Dominique Grosvenor


Author Pen Name: Linda Dominique Grosvenor

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

LDG: I've written 7 contemporary fiction novels and currently have 1 non-fiction book to assist people in relationships titled The Plural Thing: Spiritually Preparing for Your Soul Mate. I write fiction because I have so many ideas in my head that writing fictional stories is the only way for me to get them out and stay sane. Some of my research and background in psychology and relationships is what led me to write The Plural Thing. I believe that whether it's fiction or non-fiction there is something to be learned from whatever I write--or at least I hope my readers think so!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

LDG: I was a 16 year old trying to find a way to express herself and that's when I was first introduced to poetry and toyed with it for a few years and eventually fell in love with it. When I wrote my first novel in 1998 it was a fluke. I was actually writing an article that I hoped would be accepted by a popular women's magazine and it just went on and on and wouldn't stop, so, it evolved into a short story and then a novel that I later self-published and went on to sell 13,000 copies of. I now teach an online book promotion course teaching everything I did to sell that many books. My course is pretty popular and although space is limited, authors who take their books seriously are normally contacting me in advance of the February, June and September course to secure a spot. In between that I've continued to craft edgy stories for public consumption and find it rather exhilarating.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

LDG: Life in general inspires me to write books both fiction and non-fiction. My husband inspires me too. He's always saying something that I have to pause and immediately think "Hey I could include that in my book!" I promised him that I'd write a story based on our lives and the way we met and became reacquainted one day soon. I love nature, most particularly the beach, tall trees, grass and just watching the birds take flight into the blue billowy sky. Scents like oranges, pineapples and other fragrant fruits get my creative juices going too. I can't imagine doing anything else beside writing.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

LDG: I normally am a focused maniac when I'm trying to get a book completed. When I'm knee-deep in a book not even the weather or 80 degree temperatures can sway me. I'm currently working on my 8th novel and a couple of follow-up relationship books directly related to The Plural Thing: Spiritually Preparing for Your Soul Mate. Other than that, I'm pretty fun to be around.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

LDG: Beaming with absolute excitement for a few minutes until it turns to panic with me wondering if I've done everything I needed to do to ensure its success!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

LDG: Meditating on the beach with my husband is a fun relaxing activity for us. We have a regular spot on Sandy Hook where we enjoy the waves and the sound of the ocean before we go to the beachfront restaurant and get a bite. The lull of the ocean is pretty tranquil albeit romantic and we want to savor every moment we can together. We find relaxing drives enjoyable too.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

LDG: I've written 7 books so far. My favorite book has to be The Hamptons because it was the hardest to get in print and it was the easiest to write. I believe I wrote it in 30 days flat. Everyone says that it should become a movie and enjoyed how visual it was. If it becomes a movie I'd love to see Halle Berry and Regina King star in the roles. I think Will Smith will make a great leading man. I've sold more copies of that book than any other novel I've written I think. But I love how my non-fiction book The Plural Thing is helping people learn how to have better relationships too. In my heart it's probably a tie.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

LDG: I think most of the time I do get pretty basic structure from my characters from people I know, be it their behavior or general appearance, but then by the time I fill in my character's quirks and habits, likes and dislikes, they're unrecognizable.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

LDG: I've currently revamped my website to reflect my non-fiction side so if you log on to www.LindaDominiqueGrosvenor.com you can see how to purchase my non-fiction book The Plural Thing: Spiritually Preparing for Your Soul Mate. I love feedback, so, readers can contact me on my website or via my Myspace at http://myspace.com/lindadominiquegrosvenor and add me as a friend. To order copies of The Hamptons (that are going quickly) readers can follow the link below: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0974171425/prolificwritersn

LDG: Thank you for this wonderful blog Crystal and an opportunity to reach avid readers.

CA: Thank you Linda! I really enjoyed your interview, I wish we lived by the ocean…I have a two year old and meditation on the beach sounds heavenly!!



3 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah, visiting the ocean is great not so sure I would feel comfortable there fulltime though.
Happy July...

windycindy said...

What a very down to earth person. I have a degree in Psychology, also!
I used to want to freelance for magazines like "Country Living", "Country Home" and "Real Simple!"
Thanks for an interesting question and answer session. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Zulmara said...

WOW...I love the idea that somehting should be learned from your writings...I find that is true for what I write as well...

ADELANTE!!

Zulmara