Sunday, June 15, 2008

Interview with Angela Albee



Author Pen Name: Angela Albee

AA: I would like to thank you for this opportunity. The exposure you give to authors and aspiring authors alike should be commended. You are doing a good thing here, especially for those writers such as myself who are without an agent.

CA: Angela, it is great having you here and your book was awesome if I must say so myself LOL!!

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

AA: I like to write dark poetry and stories. I'm not sure why I write dark. I've always had a fascination with the dark and death and torment. Many people can't understand how I write so dark when I'm quite an outgoing person. The dark words just seem to flow. I once tried to write a children's story, but it somehow turned into a massacre, so I gave up. I also pay tribute to people/pets after they die. It's a release and helps heal the soul when I write about them. Remembering the lives and not dwelling on the fact that they are gone.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

AA: I wrote my first poem when I was about 10 or 11 after our dog, Woolie, died and I saw her. It was traumatic. I wanted to capture her memory, so I wrote a poem. Since that moment, I started writing more poetry and stories.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

AA: I had always been fond of the writing genre and styles of Edgar Allen Poe and Stephan King. When I read my first book, City Infernal, by Edward Lee, I decided I wanted to write a novel. Edward Lee has been an inspiration with me...so much that we actually have emailed back and forth. he's given me some pointers...

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

AA: I work in advertising, so I'm always busy. I basically have to just say to myself, "Ok, it's a little slow here at the moment, I'm going to write something." It's tough to find the time as I work about 50 hours a week.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

AA: Just one word?....ECSTATIC

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

AA: I watch a lot of TV. Movies, Family Guy, Simpsons...I was a media child. I also like to relax with my husband, Dave. We play video games, go for walks, hang with friends.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

AA: I have written 2 books and have several poems published. My first book is called In the Dark. It's a collection of dark poetry. I am very proud of this one as it was my first, but also that my mother was one of the illustrators. It was tough for her, because it's quite dark, lots of death and references to hell. My mother is quite religious and felt it was eerie to paint such tormenting pictures. On my book, Tyree Cambell stated: "In minimalist style it evokes images of fears, nightmares, and personal demons, all the way to the chilling denouement.My other published book is called Wedding Bells, Tortured Souls. This was my first attempt to write a longer story. It's about 50 pages long. Long time ago, I wrote a 1 page short story, always knowing the story had potential to be so much more. I can picture this story on the big screen. Some blurbs on this book: “frightening tale…moving at a break-neck speed…shocking finish”“brimming with haunting images that pull no punches” - Joe Kroeger, Horror World"...genuinely creepy. It'll change your outlook on a picture perfect wedding…dont do it!!!""Angela...is the voice of horror, prose and poetry for our generation"- Tracy Crockett, Unspeakable Magazine"a chilling little story"- Monsterlibrarian.com I am currently working on another story. It is quite a bit longer than Wedding Bells, Tortured Souls. I am really excited to start sending it off to publishers. It will be titled The Edge of Darkness. I also started another book tentatively titled The Devil's List. I'm very early in the writing process on this one. Also be on the lookout for another book of poetry from me in the future. It's almost ready to send out to publishers.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

AA: For the dark stuff I write, I hope they are only in my imagination! (smile) I would be terrified if some of my characters were real people. The streets would not be safe in the least. We have enough trouble in the world, we don't need my psycho characters running amuck, terrorizing the place.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

AA: I can always be contacted via myspace. http://www.myspace.com/darkangela13
In the Dark can be purchased at http://www.genremall.com/poetryr.htm#inthedark Wedding Bells, Tortured Souls is available through me for the price of $13. ALL copies of this book will be personally autographed by me. To purchase a copy, email me on my myspace. (Since severing my contract with the publisher, I have limited copies left to sell while I wait and hope the rewrite I've done will get picked up by a new publisher.)


AA: This has been a fun interview. You asked some great questions. Keep up the great work! I look forward to conversing with others who happen by this interview.

CA: Angela thank you for taking time out to spend the week at my blog lol!

No comments: