Sunday, April 27, 2008

Interview with Alan Draven



Author Pen Name: Alan Draven

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

AD: I consider myself an author of dark fiction. My first book, Bitternest, was a horror novel. The one I just finished (the manuscript to my second novel) is more of a dark urban fantasy and the novella I’m currently writing is a dark suspense. I also see myself writing science-fiction with a dark edge in the years to come. I write the stories I write because if I didn’t, I’d simply go crazy! I get an idea for a story and it evolves into something bigger and finally reaches the point where I can’t ignore it. It constantly grows in the back of my mind and gnaws at me until I put it on paper. That’s when I know I really have to write that story.

CA: I loved reviewing Bitternest…I defiantly won’t be visiting anytime soon!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

AD: At a very early age, I already enjoyed writing (and reading) more than other kids did at school. It took me almost two decades to realize that I had to give it a serious shot no matter what the odds were. I first started writing action/adventure novelettes and sci-fi novellas when I was in high school and college. Then I moved on to poetry in the nineties and film reviews and finally to what I’m writing now. I’ve always written in one form or another.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

AD: A lot of my inspiration comes from movies—hence the cinematic feel of my stories. The good old Hammer horror films with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing and the Poe films with Vincent Price have had a tremendous influence on my writing. Crime dramas and mob movies have played a big part as well. I have to confess that I grew up reading comic books—devouring them is more like it—and I think it comes through in my writing. Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, and Alan Moore left a big impression on me early on. As far as novelists are concerned, H.P. Lovecraft had a big role in turning me into a horror fanatic. Some of the writers that have helped shape my writing chops are David Morrell, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Richard Laymon, and Jack Ketchum, to name a few. My wife is also one of the most important reasons I kept at it. She believed in me when I had serious doubts about my craft. She’s been extremely supportive and has the utmost faith in my talent as a storyteller.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

AD: I tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to writing (most writers do, I think, but won’t admit it), but my ideal writing schedule is either very early in the morning or late at night. Some of my best writing was done at the crack of dawn or in the wee hours of the morning. It seems harder for me to write in the afternoon. Of course, real work often forces me to modify that, but if I had a choice, I’d always write first thing in the morning.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

AD: Ecstatic. It’s a great feeling to know your book is about to be read by people you’ve never met. I’m always very anxious to know what they’ll think of it.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

AD: I like to read, watch movies, take walks with my wife and my dog, daydream, and make plans for the future. I also love taking naps. I don’t get enough sleep so naps are a great way to combat sleep deprivation.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

AD: I finished my second book a few months ago and I’m currently in the rewriting stage. I’m also finishing up a novella which I find is my best work to date. I think it’s always the most recent project I worked on because I feel like I’m getting a little better with every new story. It’s a never-ending process; every new book brings me closer to achieving the status of being a great writer. Of course, Bitternest will always have a special place in my heart since it was my first book and because it developed in my head for five years.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

AD: I rarely model my characters after people I know. It almost seems as though characters in my stories pop up in my head already shaped, as if I’ve always known them. It can be quite creepy sometimes.

CA: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

AD: Read a lot. Write every chance you get, and read some more. Write what you love and what you’re passionate about, no matter the genre. Don’t follow trends if they’re about something you don’t really fancy. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that you can’t make it; I believe every genre and every story has its audience. Do see yourself making it as a writer. Dare to dream.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

AD: I can always be reached through my website at http://www.alandraven.com/ or through MySpace: www.myspace.com/alandraven I also hang out at horror message boards all over the web when I have some free time. My first novel, Bitternest, about a detective who forms an uneasy alliance with a group of vampires to prevent a powerful entity from enslaving the fog-shrouded city of Bitternest, can be purchased at Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble.com, Buy.com, Chapters.ca and many other online retailers. I usually have some copies as well which I can autograph and personally inscribe. Visit my website for more details.

CA: Thanks Alan, and for you readers, Bitternest is an awesome horror read! I was addicted to reading and only stopped to feed the family and sleep LOL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a name like Alan, you can't help but be a writer! I well remember the old horror films from Hammer - nothing like the classics. Awesome interview, mate. My hat off again to Crystal for such a good job. May the muse always inspire!

Alan Draven said...

Yes, there seem to be many writers named Alan :) Alan Moore and Alan Dean Foster are two of my favorites. And without the Hammer films, Horror simply wouldn't be the same.

Cheers,
Alan

Desirée Lee said...

Crystal how could you sleep after reading Bitternest? *LOL*

Everybody needs a good scare once in a while. With the influences you mention, it sounds like you're in good company to deliver just that!

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Desirée Lee
Putting the Romance Back in Necromancy
http://www.desireelee.com
des@desireelee.com

Anonymous said...

HI Alan! GUESS WHAT! You're review for Bitternest that I did is going to be featured in the new SNM HORROR MAGAZINE!! Just thought you would like to know :)

Alan Draven said...

Nice! Thank you, Crystal; that's great news! I checked it out a few days ago; really cool mag! Let me know when it'll be up, I'll plug it in my usual spots.

Cheers,
Alan