Sunday, March 9, 2008

Interview with Anastasia Rabiyah


Author Pen Name: Anastasia Rabiyah

CA: Anastasia Rabiyah is an amazing author, through the lovely world of Myspace we met and have become great friends over these past months. Swapping "Mommy" stories and advise as well as just chatting when we have a free moment is always a blast with Ana! You should check out her books, Shahzar, Rope, and Naughty Nine, seriously...there is no reason not to!

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

Anastasia: I write epic fantasy and erotic romance. Fantasy was always my first love. I grew up on Excalibur and Camelot, Time Bandits and The Black Cauldron. The fantasy genre speaks to my imagination and nurtures my belief that anything is possible. My fantasy tends to be epic in proportion because of the world creation. I write about the main characters and those secondary characters who survive still have their own tales to tell. My main fantasy world is set in the desert city of Kaladia and the cities surrounding it.

Erotic romance was a genre I always wanted to write but could never muster the courage to try. That changed when a fellow author in my fantasy writing group confessed she'd been working on a vampire erotica. I critiqued the tale for her and lo and behold she sucked me into an erotica writing group. I think my reason for writing this genre comes from my desire for romance as a part of my life. Erotic romance leaves the doors open to sex scenes and sex is something that's part of being human. How we have sex, who we choose to do it with, it's all part of the human experience of life. Erotic romance is addictive both to read and to write and it also spices up the lives of its readers I'm told.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Anastasia: I wanted to be a writer of children's stories when I stopped working to stay at home and raise my sons. I read to them daily and figured I could write some tales that were just as fun and educational as the ones out there. I certainly veered from that idea though! I have a few children's stories that I might pursue publication for in the future, but that's another project for another day.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

Anastasia: My dreams have often been where my story ideas come from. Also, as a child, I was very shy and overly imaginative. I created the world in which my fantasy characters reside when I was eleven. I mapped out the country, the roads, named the cities and the temples and drew the characters in crayon. Some of the characters I made up then are in my Shahzar series.

My erotica comes from "what if" scenarios. Rope, my contemporary cowboy tale sprang from the suggestion to write a themed novella for joint submission with Carol McKenzie, Dawne' Dominique and S.D. Grady. I was never a cowboy buff, but I live in Arizona and I used to go on yearly trips to a local guest ranch for banking seminars. That's how Garrett was born, a sexy cowboy who was wild in his younger years and wanted to settle down. My tribal erotic romance, Oikoni Stone, came from watching too much Discovery Channel. I'm pretty sure it came from a mix of documentary on the Mosai and the peoples of South America who live in longhouses. It's also touched with fantasy based on dryads and water sprites. It's a hot one and was my first attempt at the genre.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Anastasia: I try to write a chapter a day. I can usually meet that goal if my muses are chatty and I can sneak in a block of uninterrupted time. In addition to writing, I edit for two e-publishers, design cover art, moderate two writing critique groups, have three young sons, co-own a restaurant, manage the books for the restaurant and do the weekly shopping for it. Did I mention we have five dogs? Writing is my escape from laundry. Five people make way too much laundry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

Anastasia: It's exciting! Every single time it happens, be it a short story, an e-book or a print book, it's the culmination of the writing process. I feel hopeful when it happens and I pray someone out there enjoys my stories.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Anastasia: My bumper sticker says: I'd rather be writing. When I'm not writing (and my husband can confirm this) I'd rather be writing. If I had a real choice in the matter, it would be "alone time" with my husband. With three kids, we have to schedule our date nights. The wee ones still sneak into our bed at night. I know I'll miss that one day, but right now it's just so hard to roll over with three kids pinning me down on both sides and over my feet.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Anastasia: At the time of this interview...eleven? I'm sure it'll be more than that by the time this is posted! Right now, my favorite is my Shahzar series, a fantasy epic which was originally one book that was broken into four novellas. In erotica, my favorite is Naughty Nine, my anthology of nine fantasy erotic tales.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

Anastasia: I'll admit to basing a lot of characters on my flaws and tics. Some are based on real people, but I won't tell who! My imagination fleshes them out to stand on their own though.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

Anastasia: Readers can find me on my website:
http://rabiyahbooks.com/
On MySpace:
http://MySpace.com/AnastasiaRabiyah
At my Yahoo Group where they can receive newsletters and book release information and reviews:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RabiyahBooks
My Publishers are:
http://amirapress.com/
http://darkedenpress.com/
http://forbiddenpublications.com/
http://loveyoudivine.com/
I also run monthly drawing and have free giveaways of promotional material as it's available on my website's "Contest and Free Stuff Page"

Anastasia: Thank you so much for this opportunity, Crystal!

CA: Ana, thank you for taking time out from writing and "mommy" to visit with me this week! You're such a sweetheart and a lovely person! One day I will come out your way for my very first ever Greek meal! LOL everytime I see My Big Fat Greek Wedding I think of you :O) You truly are a gift to the readers, your stories are on fire!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

got the magnent calendar tthnk you!
who doesnt love fanstsy!

Anastasia Rabiyah said...

Thanks so much for the interview Crystal! I know I've been too quiet lately. Trying to catch up on some edits for my other authors and some cover art. I hope the wee one is doing well. hope you're taking a break and not overloading yousrself still!
*hug-o-ramas*
Anastasia Rabiyah

Anonymous said...

Anastasia, It's wonderful to hear other authors announcing facets of human nature to their audience. I tell people often that romance and sex are aspects of being human. It's funny how we're taught to believe they are not. Eh, but I'm an anthropologist. I'm strange. And I don't know how you write so much with three children and running a restaurant! I'm exhausted with one child at home. Oy! My head is spinning at the thought. Your books sound wonderful. Best of luck to you. ~Skhye

Anonymous said...

Ana, you left out the part where you schedule appointments to go to the bathroom! *chortles* What a wonderful and entertaining interview. I will confess that I've read the majority of those posted here, Crystal, but I confess, *blushes* I just haven't had time to stop and comment. As I know this Fabulous, Hardworking Superwoman, who reminds me so much of you, I just had to stop by. Those were wonderful questions, and fantastic replies. Thank you, Crystal! You do so much.

Hugs,
Dawne'

Anonymous said...

Hello Ladies! So good to see you here Blackroze, Skhye, and Dawne'!!
So what is next in line for you Ana? Are you working on more erotica or your fantasy novels?

Anonymous said...

Hello Anastasia, I have purchased Naughty Nine. Have not had the chance to read it, but with reading your interview I will make time. Peace and light, R

Anonymous said...

Hi Ana! It's wonderful to read about you and your "world" that you create. Crystal can attest that I am a vampire erotica person myself. I loved reading that is what got you involved in writing erotica. I think so many people enjoy it and just won't admit to it for whatever reason. I find it very freeing to let loose.

Just the title Naughty Nine already has my mind whirling with what delicious ideas you have cooked up. I need to get this book!

I don't know how you do it with three kids but you go girl! I wish you much success in all your writing endeavors and can't wait to read your writing!