Monday, June 30, 2008

Interview with Michael Murphy




Author Pen Name: Michael Murphy

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

MM: I write the type of novels, I enjoy reading, mystery and suspense, though my latest novel is a bit of a departure. Ramblin’ Man is a romantic comedy.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

MM: I actually began my first novel when I was in 7th grade. I wrote for the school newspaper in elementary school and in high school, then majored in journalism at Arizona State. I set aside my writing aspirations for quite a few years and didn’t get serious about it until my forties.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

MM: Reading got me interested in writing. The first novel I read was White Fang by Jack London. When I was nine, I read Gone with the Wind. I was a geek at an early age.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

MM: I try to write every day, and since I also have a career and family I have to balance the need to write with those other equally important commitments. No schedule, just write when I can.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

MM: I’m always humbled by the thought that someone I don’t know would pay money to read what I write.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

MM: Writing was easy, finding a publisher was hard.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

MM: I jumped out of an airplane once, but that’s really not me. I spend most of my free time with my family, my wife of 36 years, my two children and eight grandchildren and all our wonderful animals including Tinker a Yorkie-Pom who appears in my new novel Ramblin’ Man.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

MM: Ramblin’ Man is my sixth novel. Class of ’68 will always be special to me because it was the first one I wrote and it’s about such an important year in our history. But, Ramblin’ Man is probably my favorite, because I was able to take Bart Wheeler, a secondary character in two of my other novels, Secrets of Sheridan Manor and Cuts Like a Knife and make him a leading man. He’s so much fun to develop and it makes the novel and fun and funny read. I sometimes find myself drifting into the character and Bart-speak, you know what I’m sayin’. Dude, it can be a rush. Recently I was a guest on a writer’s chatroom and spent half the time answering questions as Bart Wheeler. Whoa, that may have been a mistake. The dude was more interesting that I was.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

MM: I’ve never based any of my characters on real people, but there are elements of family and friends in all of them.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

MM: I conduct workshops at local libraries called You Too Can Write a Novel. The theme of the workshop is forget get started, keep going and finish. One can always revise and polish, perhaps the most important part of writing, but the real challenge to a novice is to get started and keep going.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

MM: My books can be purchased on Amazon and from my publisher at http://www.wings-press.com/. Readers can purchase an autographed copy of any of my novels by going to my website, www.mjmurphy.com and emailing me.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

MM: Creating a world through words is a wonderful experience. I encourage those who like to read to give it a try. Enjoy the characters you create and have fun.

CA: I agree with your last statement, Enjoy, Create, and have Fun!! Thanks for doing this interview :)

2 comments:

windycindy said...

A short interview, but to the point! I like his workshops that say anybody can write a novel! I wish. I am going to check his manager's site. Take care,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Zulmara said...

I love this interview...how cool are you...starting writing in 7th grade...but what I found most intriguing was turning a minor character into a leading man...que cool is that...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara