Sunday, March 9, 2008

Linda Kay Silva's Virtual Book Tour


Linda Kay Silva’s Virtual Book Tour


CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

LKS: I used to write a cop series, but now I am in the newly defined category of urban fantasy. I’m not quite sure what that means, but it’s allied somewhere with the fantasy genre.
I write them because I have to…because I have fallen in love with the idea of soul mates, of time travel. I have always been fascinated by past lives. Past lives fascinate me. Love at first sight, five year olds who can play Beethoven, people who come out of comas fluent in a foreign language…past lives at work. What other explanation is there when we meet someone for the first time, yet they feel so familiar, so comfortable to us? Where do our phobias come from? How is it we know some of the things we know, yet have never learned? Those questions drove me to the first of the series, which is Across Time.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


LKS: In my mid twenties. I read a few books one summer and thought, “I think I can do this.” My goal was to publish before I was 30 and my first novel came out shortly after I turned 30, so I was close!

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

LKS: I have several authors I adore, and they are the only ones whose hardbacks I buy as soon as they come out. Elizabeth Peters writes a great Egyptology series. Clive Cussler writes outstanding action and adventure. Stephen King just rocks. My new fave is Kelley Armstrong who writes the Women of the Otherworld series.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

LKS: I teach online courses, so my writing time varies. I can write at any time of the day. I am not a prima donna when it comes to writing. Since I write my first draft longhand with a fountain pen and binder paper, I can write anywhere, any time. I write at least an hour every day, usually up to three. I prefer to write in the morning, but if I can squeeze in an hour here and there, I do. I have issues with people who say they want to write, but have to have the carpets cleaned, the right soda on the desk, etc. If you really want to do something, do it! Don’t talk about it or dream about it, DO IT!

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

LKS: Elated.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

LKS: Travel. When I'm not writing, I'm teaching, grading papers, playing with my cockapoo dog, Lucy, and traveling, traveling, traveling. I recently returned from Central and South America via the Panama Canal, and I finished a first draft in three weeks there. Travel stimulates me more than anything else. Travel is my muse.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

LKS: Ohh…hmm. I’ve published 8. I have 4 completed of a new series about an empath and other paranormal folks, and I have 5 other stand alone books that I’ve never been able to get out there for one reason or another. They are all for sale, by the way, on my web site.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

LKS: Oh….I think all characters are somewhat composites of the writer and others they know, but many of mine are from my imagination and all of the comic books and other reading I’ve done in my life. In this book, I relate more to Cate, the Priestess who was brave enough to send her soul in search of Jessie. Cate does this not only to save the Druids, but to save her soul mate. That is definitely something I would do. I had a therapist tell me once that I suffered from a hero complex, and since I wrote about a badass cop, a powerful druid, and my latest, as-of-yet unpublished series, an empath, I think she might be on to something! It must be from all of the comic books I read as a kid. Or maybe, I’m just immature. J

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

LKS: My website is: http://www.lindakaysilva.com/
My blog is: http://lindakaysilva.livejournal/com
My email is iamstorm@yahoo.com
When I first published, I promised myself I would write to everyone who took the time out of their lives to write to me. So far, I’ve kept that promise. I’ve written to 5 authors in my life, and not one responded. I think that’s bogus. If someone takes the time, I need to repay in kind.

CA: Linda, that is great that you have made your own vow to reply to any fans/readers that contact you. I believe that is very important. You don’t want your # 1 fan upset because she/he praised you immensely and then not to get a reply is kind of hurtfull..been there done that. So as I said that is wonderful of you! Thank you for spending the day with me..these virtual book tours rock!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

like the interview!!!!! your books sould great, im really looking forward to reading them!
can you look for me a soul mate?;)

Cheryl said...

Excellent interview ladies!

Linda, I would love to hear more about your travels. Would you share a few good stories?

Thanks.

Cheryl

Christopher Hoare said...

Hi Linda:

Do you see the urban fantasy genre having thematic links to other genres? Some of the interests you expressed here seem close to why I wrote my SF/alternate world stories -- particularly the juxtapostion of someone's normal with an outworldly element. Is that the high readers of UF are looking for?

Chris.

Anonymous said...

Black-
I wish I could! Yours is out there...it just depends on whether or not your open to him/her.

Cheryl-
Travel stories? Oh my...I have so many. Let me tell you about my first BIG booksigning...
I was signing along and there was a line...mine was much shorter than the BIG names, but at least there were people there, right?
Well, I turn to get a book from my publisher and when I turn back around, there stands Shirley Jones...Mrs. Partridge of the Partridge family. I am so flabbergasted,I said, "Mrs Partridge!" Like some moron. She laughed in a way that didn't make me feel as dumb as I looked, so I said, "Thanks for getting in my line."
She cocked her head, smiled big and said, "I've read ALL your books."

Can I say that I floated off into the sunset? It was a really fun moment for me.

StevenGilby said...

first off, "I have issues with people who say they want to write, but have to have the carpets cleaned, the right soda on the desk, etc. If you really want to do something, do it! Don’t talk about it or dream about it, DO IT!"
i agree!

second,...uhh...oh yeah! lol
your book Across Time sounds really interesting.
hero complex? i've never seen a shrink, but who isnt into heroes and saving the day and being the badass hero? thats just awesome! i love super heroes =D