Sunday, March 23, 2008

Interview with Joseph McGee



Joseph McGee is a phenomenal Horror/Suspense author, I have reviewed a few of his stories and let me just tell you, you have no idea what you’re missin’ if you’ve not read his work yet! So get on the ball and order one of his books. His newest Snow Hill will be available 6/2008

Author Pen Name: Joseph McGee

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

JM: It would fall under Horror & Suspense. Writing stories like these, people think you might have a few screws loose; maybe they're right. But I write these stories not to try and scare someone, but to tell a story that I find interesting enough to share. If I did do it to scare people, I might want to check my self in for an evaluation.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

JM: I don't think I ever really knew. Maybe I still don't. I just love doing what I'm doing. I love telling stories. Some people will love it, some will hate it; that's the mark of a good writer.
I enjoy traveling and going to book signings, going to conventions. I love talking to people who've read my stuff. It's some kind of a high, to be honest.

CA: LOL then you’ve gotten high around me?! I promise not to turn you in *snickers*, I have read lots of your works :O)

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

JM: When it comes to writing, there are a few writers whom inspired me: Dean Koontz, Jack Ketchum & Tom Piccirilli. Those three are some fine writers. And lately, I've been fans of Sarah Langan, Kealan Patrick Burke, Tim Lebbon, RH Stavis & Christopher Golden.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

JM: The best thing about writing is making up your own work hours and work ethics. Let's say it's a Wednesday and I've been writing for four hours; Thursday comes and it's three hours with a short break for a Boston Celtics game, then Friday I'll write for a half hour, maybe do some publicity work, then Saturday comes and it's a ten-hour day.
There's really no set schedule to go by. I'm not sure if any writer really as a set schedule. Things come up in the middle of day when you're at home. If you're in an office, there's only so many things that can go wrong in the process of a 9-to-5 day.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

JM: Excited!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

JM: Sometimes I'll listen to music. Like right now, I'm listening to Arron Lines "Knock on Wood" and before that was "Used To" by Daughtry.
Sometimes I'll talk on the phone, and most likely not pay attention.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

JM: All together I've written near 80 short stories, most have sold. I wrote 4 novels, one which is out, a second will hit stores June 2008 and the other two have not been sold yet; I have chapbook coming out at the end of March by Magus Press--The Reaper, which is the first in a set of three Reaper chapbooks. It has a print run of only 350 and will be signed. Pre-orders are available at
BN.com, Amazon.com, Horror-Mall.com and MagusPress.com
Out of everything I have written, I do have a few favorites: The Reaper for its raw nature; my award-nominated short story, Phil's Place for its suspense and mystery; Snow Hill (coming out 6/2008) for its love, ruthlessness and eerie suspense.

CA: I would have to say Snow Hill is my favorite, because the characters seemed so real. I really could see a lot of one of the main characters in you…although I have never met you in real life. That is a great writer!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

JM: A little of both. It's kind of like using a template of a person you know, like looks and ultimately building the personality of the world around the characters. Like Jack Stoughton (from Snow Hill). He's a cop in a mid-size city. And he has the raw edge of a homicide cop, the fearlessness with a sympathetic eye for his victims--and the love for a woman.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

JM: I'm very easy to be contacted--and I answer personally. You won't have to wait weeks or months for a reply. I won't have my agent or anyone answer for me.
MySpace:
www.myspace.com/snowmac85;
Web site:
www.josephmcgee.net;
E-mail:
Joe@josephmcgee.net.

To ask about books, or ordering books, you can contact a bookseller or my publishers:
www.maguspress.com (The Sound of Horror; The Reaper; Winter Frights); www.bluphier.com (Snow Hill).

CA: Joe, I just wanted to thank you for taking time out of your life to be here with me this week, your interview was fun to read and I think the other readers will enjoy it! Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for the comments to come in *smiles* Thanks again sweetie lots 'a love!
Hugs,Crystal

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joseph, I visit Crystal's review site all the time and loved what she said about your books. I look forward to buying snow hill in the next couple of months.
What do your friends and family think of your writing?
--ReadingIsFun

Anonymous said...

Well, "ReadiingIsFun"--

It's a bit like this: At first it was a big enthralling thing, lots of excitment, but when books #3 and #4 come along it slows down a bit; but people who read my work, albeit 1 or 1,000,000, it's still pretty cool.
And I love my readers. They're the best!

-Joe.

Crash Daniels said...

Hi Joseph,
Great interview.
It's awesome to see that Snow Hill is now in print. I'll be looking forward to reading it. Good work.

Brice

Unknown said...

i havnt, so i trust your opinion, and i think i try him, you sound very interseting books there joseph!

Anonymous said...

Joe--hope you're having fun sitting around here this week! What was the biggest challenge of writing Snow Hill?

Reading-- Hey sweetie, great question and it is always great to see you here posting.

Brice-- I do hope you get a copy of Snow Hill when it is released 6/2008 I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Blackroze--Hey sweetie, thanks for stopping in! I do hope you get the chance to read some of Joe's works ;)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.