Sunday, March 9, 2008

Interview with Jacquelyn Frank

Author Pen Name: Jacquelyn Frank

CA: Let me start out by saying Jacki Frank WAHOO!! I was lucky enough to meet Jacki last year at Lora Leigh's RAW 2007 and hang out with her and even rock out at the 80's party with her! She is a blast to be around, so much fun and beautiful person inside and out, Jacki has the compassion that most people can only dream about! I will be seeing her again this September and can not wait...her Nightwalker series rocks! If you've not read any of the books, what in the world is wrong with you? You should go and get a copy of Jacob; that is where it all starts. I am trying to finish up what I am doing at this moment so that I can take a moment out to read her latest novel Noah. Now on with the interview! Thank you Jacki for being here with me :)

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

Jacki: I write paranormal romance (at present). I think I write these stories because my brain is weird. No, seriously. All artists have to have weird brains, right? Look at Picasso. That dude had a weird brain! But I mean almost every story I write is inspired by some freaky dream I had or a vignette in a book or movie that just strikes my imagination and starts churning up this incredible purge of creativity. Also, there's an element of borderline craziness to it, in that if I don't get these thoughts, ideas and creations out of my head and onto a disc it will literally drive me crazy. I have so much trouble going to sleep every night because I can't shut off my brain. If I haven't purged the brain, it's even worse. (I picture characters banging and clawing against a wall of glass shouting to get out. Heh. I watch too much Law and Order: CI)
CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Jacki: I believe I was born with a pencil in hand. My biological mother had terrible cravings for lead, wood shavings...erasers. Especially erasers. Then around 13 years of age, thoroughly disenchanted with my teen romances, I plopped in front of a typewriter to do it myself. Haven't stopped writing since.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

Jacki: As I mentioned above, dreams are a huge inspiration. The good, the bad and the ugly. I don't dream the entire book of course, but maybe a scene and I have to do whatever it takes to reach that scene...to build the story around that scene. The work of others really gets me charged up...movies, books, television. I'll see something, usually something obscure, and start to think. I am very dangerous when I think. They should have community sirens or something. Tornado, earthquake, Jacki had an idea...although usually my cats are the only ones at risk of lack of affection, getting pushed off the keyboard, and the always cruel dismissal from the comfortable bed known as my bosom because I am in such a writing frenzy I have to sit up and curl myself over the keyboard in manic intensity.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Jacki: It goes something like this:Day 1: Start novel.Day 14: Finish novel. Burn outfit I am wearing. Take shower. Feed emaciated self at the All You Can Eat buffet. Call friends and family and let them know I am alive. Take another bath. Call agent and editor. Feed the cats. Sleep.Day 15: Read 13,452 emails.CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?
Jacki: Nauseated? Ha! Seriously, it’s the truth. I am very anxious to please my readers and while I am so excited for every book’s release, I am incredibly nervous. I write to please my muse, but it’s not worth much if readers aren’t pleased, too. My readers are very important to me. Ask anyone.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Jacki: I like to spend time in the forums on my website, goofing around with my readers. Otherwise it’s cats, movies, books and music. Those are the things I love. I just became a foster home for cats through the Animal Compassion Network, a local pet charity that I have recently become devoted to for their hard work rescuing and rehabilitating abandoned and abused animals. It’s becoming a passion, really.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Jacki: Well, three are published at present. Jacob, Gideon and Elijah. How many have I written? Many more than that. In fact I finished this installment of the Nightwalkers series and have already begun the next ones for the continuation in The Shadowdwellers series coming in Jan ’09. I expect my worlds will continue to shift and change as far as the Nightwalker cultures are concerned, but I also have several waiting stories that are completely unique to that series. I’m not going anywhere any time soon!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

Jacki: Mostly imagination. Occasionally I’ll be inspired by dark eyes, a beard, tight abs, 300 Spartans….but I digress.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

Jacki: Readers are always welcome to write me via email at jacquelynfrank@hotmail.com or snail mail me at PO Box 2164 Skyland, NC 28776. I welcome all responses. All of my books can be found on Amazon or Barnes and Noble…or even in Wal-Mart. If you need direct links just go to my website at www.jacquelynfrank.com . While you are there, check out my blog and find out everything you never wanted to know about my life. Heh. You can sign up for my mailing list via the www.bravenet.com link at the bottom of my blog page. I am working on a newsletter for the future. It won’t just be about me and my books. It will be filled with things from the romance community as well.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ive been wanting to read your books! but so far, no stores close to me have them, so going to have to track them online :)
every book ive read dabout of urs sounds good

Unknown said...

love your book covers

Anonymous said...

Jacki, your replies were so much fun to read! I'll have to run down and buy one of your novels to see if they make me laugh as much. I'm a firm believer that I am weird too. That covers writing my paranormals. And I had your writing disease until my baby was born in 2005. Then I was cured. I write when I can now. Best of luck to you. Skhye

Anonymous said...

I love your books!!! They are great i laugh i cry can't wait for the next one

Anonymous said...

Hey gals! Jacki's books are wonderful! And if you ever get the chance to meet her in person...DO IT! She is so much fun and will keep you constantly laughing!

Anonymous said...

Jacquelyn, how many more books in the nightwalker series do you plan to write?

Jacquelyn Frank said...

Hi guys!! Thanks for reading my interview :) I am glad you liked it. I am ultra busy this week, so I didn't read my email about this until now. Blackroze: Read me. I swear it's worth it even if just for Jacob.

I hope you try me out.

Crystal you said such sweet things. Thank you so much for making it a fun interview.

Reading,
I have no plans. I will write as long as it makes sense, as long as I have a passion for it, and as long as you want it and the publisher wants it.