Sunday, March 16, 2008

Interview with Fran Orenstein *Comment to win!*







CA: HI Fran, it is great learning so much about you! I can tell you’re very passionate about your writing…that makes a great author! I know you’ve been published with Triad, their team is great to work with *winks*! Well here we go, releasing you and your books out into the world. Make sure to leave Fran a comment as she will be popping in from time to time to answer any questions left for her.

Author Pen Name: Fran Orenstein

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

FO: I love kids – all kids, all ages. I primarily write tween books for kids ages 9 to 13, give or take a year on either end, depending on the reading and comprehension level of the child.

I also write short stories for adults and poetry for both children and adults. I would even write for my cat, if she would sit still and listen. Although, I did write a poem about her, which she does not appreciate.

Why do I write tween books? Enthusiastic readers at this age can never get enough to read, particularly boys. Tweens who require a bit of coaxing, need a variety of stories that will awaken their imaginations and help them experience the joy of reading.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

FO: I was eight years-old when I wrote my first poem. I had just finished Bambi and was so moved by the story that I wrote poem about the book.
At twelve I submitted a short story to McCall’s magazine. It was called The White Dress about a very poor girl who needed a white dress for graduation and found a way to get one. In March I received a rejection slip, but then in June, McCall’s published a short story with the same title and a very similar theme. I was devastated. I have never submitted anything to a magazine again.
I guess I have always been writing, poems, stories, plays, songs. I wrote for the school newspaper in high school, worked as an editor/writer for a national career education magazine, wrote speeches for governors and commissioners in New Jersey State Government, wrote a variety of newsletters for 20 years, published academically, and presented papers nationally and internationally on women’s and children’s issues

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

FO: I don’t have any one person I can point to as an inspiration. My mother was an avid reader and storyteller. She would make up amazing stories. I practically grew up in the library. I think reading was my inspiration. I can still remember books I read as a child and the ages I read them.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

FO: Haphazard! I hate routine and scheduling. I try to do something every day, even if it’s just reviewing what I wrote the day before, blogging, pestering my publisher, or filling out interviews like this one. I am very undisciplined, but I write very fast and for me it’s as natural as breathing. Seriously, I’m a morning person, so I try to write when my mind is functioning at an optimum level. I used to have the stamina to write 6-8 hours a day. Now my sciatic nerve and arthritic hand scream “enough” after about 2-4 hours. I also take a day off every so often, just to have some fun.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

FO: Awesome!!!!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

FO: Read. I would rather do that than anything else. I also like to putter. I move things around in the house…redistribute the clutter. I give up on everything by 5 pm and by 7 o’clock , I like to veg out and watch TV. I have about 6 shows I like, mostly action/adventure/mystery/crime and I’m devoted to the H&G channel. I probably would have liked to decorate houses in another life.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

FO: I have written six tween/young adult novels, a book of children’s poetry, several picture books, four short stories, and now you are probably regretting that you asked that question. I love each one because it is so special to me.

In October Triad Publishing Group released The Ghost Under Third Base the first in a series of adventure stories that will grab the attention of boys, but is also will be enjoyed by girls. It features, the character, Huby, in each independent story. Revealing secrets: Huby is an other-worldly character, I originally conceived as an angel. Kids might also see him as an alien or spirit. The sequel, The Goblin Murder Mystery will be released in September in time for Halloween. As if the title didn’t give that one away.

Coming, March 21st is the first of a fantasy series called, The Book of Mysteries – The Wizard of Balalac. Two boys from New York City find a mysterious, disappearing bookstore and through the Book of Mysteries go on fantasy adventures. I am currently writing the sequel, which will be released early next year, titled The Book of Mysteries – The Gargoyles of Blackthorne. The concept for the third adventure, The Book of Mysteries – The Gryphons of Spyr lurks somewhere on my computer.

However, the book that holds a special place in my heart, Fat Girls From Outer Space, will be released in June. It’s a girl’s tween book that addresses a very relevant topic, childhood obesity, the attitudes of the world toward obesity, and coming to terms with obesity as a child. Although, fiction, it’s based on the real stories and experiences of myself and two special, beautiful and brilliant women whom I am proud to call friends.

Next year, watch for two historical fiction novels for tweens/young adults, The Spice Merchant’s Daughter ( Prussia and France in 1700-1702, during the reign of Louis XIV) and The Calling of The Flute ( Lithuania in 1900).

Be on the look-out sometime this year, for Five, Six, Pick Up Sticks, a book of poetry for young children, which I wrote and illustrated, and The Boy Who Loved Trains, a picture book for ages 4-7.

I also contribute short stories to the anthologies Triad Publishing Group is releasing. The most recent is the horror short story, Destiny, one of 13 thrilling stories in From the Shadows, released March 1st. In July, Triad will also be releasing, Echoes, a mystery anthology, so watch for my story, Murder in Duplicate.

I also wrote the forward for Triad’s soon-to-be released The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

FO: My characters generally come from my imagination, but also from real life. For example: The Calling of The Flute is a fictionalized story of my grandmother. The Boy Who Loved Trains is taken from my grandson’s four year fascination with Thomas the Tank Train, still an obsession at age six.
.
When I’m writing, I often think about people and how they might say something, or gesture, or react.





CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

FO: Let your imagination run wild. Lose your inhibitions and write, write, write. You will revise and revise and revise, anyway. Pick your genre and read books by authors you admire. Attend as many workshops as possible to learn the craft. Join organizations and critique groups. Leave your ego and pride at the door, it’s a learning curve.

Don’t be discouraged. I got really depressed for years over rejections. In one year, I had an agent throw up her hands in despair, and an editor who had held a book for eight months, swearing it was sensational, finally turn it down. I have a file drawer filled with rejections for every book I’ve written. I could paper the bathroom with them. Perhaps I should. Better yet, build a bonfire. Keep writing.

The world of children’s book publishing is very tight and difficult. I finally realized that non-traditional publishing was the route to go when bizarre circumstances led to my meeting Vern Firestone, the inspiring publisher of Triad Publishing Group.

Even JK Rowling admitted to my publisher that no one would know who Harry Potter is if she hadn’t self-published that first book. Now, she and that publisher laugh their way to the bank. So eat your hearts out all of you who sent those rejection slips.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

FO: My books can be purchased at
Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com, by typing in my name at the top, or at any bookstore on order. If you want a signed, dedicated book, please email me at franoren2@yahoo.com to request a purchase order. Money order is the preferred method of payment. Books will be mailed after payment is received and cleared. I don't open forwarded mail, attachments, or anything from unidentified ET's. So if you email me, please ID yourself in the subject line as responding to this on-line interview. Otherwise, the email flies off into the ether, never to be seen again.

I have a blog on
triadtweens@triadpublishinggroup.com or check out MySpace for my site. I am also on www.triadpublishinggroup.com

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

FO: I am a prolific writer, because ideas pop into my head at odd times, inspired by inconsequential things, and it comes naturally to me. I consider myself blessed in that regard.
But, even if it takes you a year to write a book, a story, a poem, just do it. Don’t agonize over every word, let it flow. Send your voice out to the world. If you can’t publish traditionally, go the alternative route. It’s the most amazing experience to see your book in print…like producing a child. It’s your legacy to the future. Enjoy the experience. Be proud of the talent. Make it work.

15 comments:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Thanks for an insightful interview. I enjoyed it.

Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
http://www.amazon.com/Courage-Patience-Story-Those-Endured/dp/1601641567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205454205&sr=1-1

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the interview Beth! Thanks for stopping in...you're entered in the contest! Hugs, Crystal

Unknown said...

Fran, your encouragement for writing is so true, I have found myself writing on many different papers as the Ideas flow.

I hope to see more books soon.

Anonymous said...

HI Fran, just wanted to let you know I enjoyed the interview.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran!

After reading your interview all I can say is WOW! You are one busy lady. I especially love your book titles. They are very creative and make ME want to read them so I know the 'tween set is surely to be enticed.

Vern at TRIAD Publishing Group is the best - yes sorry another plug for my publisher - and I am so glad the children will have the opportunity to read such exciting books from you!

Fran, I wish you continued success!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love you in that blue hue! Who can resist an author who accessorizes her photo to her book!

TinaFerraro said...

Hi Fran (and Crystal), fun and interesting interview, and I have to jump in on the writing-for-your-cat thing. Mine likes to sit on my lap while I write. In fact, we suspect he thinks the title of my next release, THE ABC's OF KISSING BOYS, is THE ABC'S OF KISSING KITTIES. But we're a little cat-crazy at my house...

Anonymous said...

EW: Fran is one of your fellow Triad authors and I am sure she'll be happy that you commented on her interview :)

Rav: LOL are you trying to sneak in some promo for TRIAD? LOL you go right ahead sweetie *winks*
I have no idea what it is with her pic..she sent it to me in normal color and everything but when I uploaded it here it did that wierd hue thing! I can't make it go away and it's never happened before!! Must be the ghosts!!

Hugs, Crystal

Anonymous said...

Fran-
The world of reading for children is a much much better place because of you. You have shown kids that things which go bump in the night or under third base can be a great thing.
I am so glad you are one of us.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran:
I recognize you despite your blue face! Great interview. You really inspire other writers. You go girl! Best, Georgine

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran
Good on you writing for the kids. Too many these days stick their heads in a video game rather than take the time to read a good story. Keep up the great work!

Crash Daniels said...

Hi Fran,
I know it's already been said, but great encouragement for other writers. Your books sounds wonderful and I'll definitely be looking into them for my young niece.
Also been seeing a lot about TRIAD publishing, sounds like a good organization.

Brice

Edelgard Erszebet von Wurttemberg said...

Fran,

I'm thrilled to learn about the books you're writing. My soon to be 8 year old son absolutely loves fantasy and is reading Eragon and Harry Potter by himself, and is reading the Belgariad with his father. I'm going to track down your books for him, as I know he'll enjoy them.


Lisa Hartjes
www.lisahartjes.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Fran,
What happened to Triad Publishing Group? I sent a children's book package to Triad Publishing Group in August 2008. Now I can no longer get intouch by e-mail and I have called a few times to Vern Firestone and left messages, but no one returns my calls. I would like to have my book package returned to me as soon as possible. I had included a CD of all the images for my book, a spiral bond booklet of the text and sample photos in a leather portfolio.
I had e-mailed you a few samples of my work at one time.
I sent the the package to the 3233 Ramblewood Dr. N. Sarasota, Fl address. I live in Sarasota also.
I would appreciate if you could let me know something.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Gail
gailstrail@verizon.net

FASHION BLOG said...

Classic tweed small coat, louis vuitton outlet inside take replaced loose black suit or short jacket, Kuo leg pants or will lap rolled up, or motorcycle boots tucked into the boots tube, and ground cloak coats, DengRi high-necked coat loading outline model, Chanel (Chanel) 2011 qiu dong skinny jeans on beautiful field of black is full of broken grain, and do old sense of locomotive boots collocation are quite harmonious, from tweed skirts, folds of drag ground ruffle chiffon dress transition to the second half of the bud silk dress, evening-gown modelling although still be black, gray advocate dozen, but still have to be in "magnificent" on makes full text, compose full paillette the bud silk grid fabric, gauze connects body pants on heavy and complicated embroidery patterns, bud and leather or filar satin splicing, still has advanced customization of costly feeling. No matter how fashionable circle in the twinkling of an eye, contracted clique can always find a place. 11 years chun xia, Marc Jacobs continuation of good quality by Marc, launched the classic wallet series adopts the texture excellent leather, in concise founder bag body still have Marc Jacobs trademark logo by Marc bronze, on colour also utilized this year chun xia heat up greatly in the bright color, Louis Vuitton Bracelets every time you took out his wallet when have beautiful good mood.