Sunday, March 23, 2008

** Contest** Interview with Heather Brewer ** Win A HOODIE**



** Winner of the hoodie is vega307@hotmail.com you have 5 days to contact us. I sent you an email :O) CONGRATS!!

*** CONTEST FOR A VLAD HOODIE SWEATSHIRT ***
Heather Brewer writes novels for YA both in Fantasy and Horror. You may know of her book Eighth Grade Bites or Ninth Grade Slays (Available April 17). They are about a teenage vampire…Ninth Grade Slays will be my first Heather Brewer book to review, but what is not to like..she did say Vampire!!
** Contest Question: What would be your most and least favorite aspects of being a teenage vampire? ** Leave your answer in the comments with your email address (so that we can contact the winner) and Heather will choose a Winner at the end of her week reigning on my interview site. If the winner has not responded in 5 days another name will be drawn..so keep checking back! Good luck!


Author Pen Name: Heather Brewer

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

HB: I write Young Adult fantasy and horror, for the most part. I’ve always been inspired by darker themes, and as my reading tends to go along those lines, so does my writing. As for why I write the stories I write…I have to, or the voices will never shut up. *smiles*

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

HB: I was about twelve years old and had just finished reading CARRIE by Stephen King. I distinctly remember closing the book and saying, “That’s what I want to do. I want to be a writer.”

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

HB: That changes, as I’m inspired by so many people/things. What I read often inspires me, as well as music I listen to. My family is a huge inspiration to me.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

HB: It varies, but basically I write/edit/what-have-you for about five hours a day. The rest is torn between self-promotion and sleep (and MySpace, let’s not forget the essentials).

CA: You are right Heather, Myspace is an essential!!!

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

HB: Exhausted. Or maybe, relieved. Bringing a book into the world is no easy task. I always thought it would be this shining, movie-like moment, but the truth is much more plain.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

HB: Play a lot of video games. At the moment, Rock Band is a fave. *smiles*
And of course, I read a lot.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

HB: I’ve written six, but only half of those will see the light of being published. And I’m one of the lucky ones!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

HB: 99% of the details of my characters are from my head. The other 1% is a mish-mash of people I’ve met/known.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

HB: I can be contacted via my website (http://www.heatherbrewer.com/), where readers will find all sorts of neat stuff, including my blog (Bleeding Ink) and an animated book trailer for EIGHTH GRADE BITES.
EIGHTH GRADE BITES the hardcover can be found in stores or on Amazon now. The paperback will be out mid-April, and NINTH GRADE SLAYS is hitting stores April 17th!

CA: Thanks Heather for dropping in and offering a very cool and coveted Vlad hoodie as a giveaway! I am jealous *grins and pouts..then a wink* I look forward to reading the answer to the contest question!
Hugs, Crystal

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool interview Crystal!

What I would like/dislike being a teenage vampire?

Well I would like the immortalty thing though not to keen on the way I would stay the same age when I am turned or drinking blood. YUCK! :)

Raine Delight
rainedelight@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

my luck i would have 1000 zits and be stuck with those forever

but i wouldnt never age :)

i think heather book rocks!

blackroze37@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

The worst part would be out living all my human friends, the best part would be....well basically being s vampire!! (I can't decide on my favorie) what's not to love!

m00n.p00l@yahoo.com

(those are zeros and thats an 'L' not the number one)

Anonymous said...

Raine- Thanks for stopping in sweetheart! Good luck with the contest! Believe me everyone who is anyone wants one of these hoodies!

Blackroze- I know you've tried like heck to win a hoodie so Good Luck!

K.T- I agree outliving my family/friends would be the worst part! But I would turn someone I think to keep me company :)

Heather- Hey girl :)

Froze8 said...

~What would be your most and least favorite aspects of being a teenage vampire?

The favorite aspects of being a teen vampire would be...
1. I'd be different
2. I wouldn't be so tempted by junk food
3. I wouldn't have to grow up.
4. I'd have good eyesight and hearing! (woot!)

Things I wouldn't like...
1. I might never be able to get out of school and have to repeat the same stuff over and over again.
2. I would likly be alone forever
3. It'd be hard for me to find blood.


This is just putting it in a short way =D

spykids_cool@yahoo.com

Sherrie said...

Hmm...the best part of being a teenage vampire- being a teenager again, rather than a creaky old 38 year old!

The worst part- since I faint at my own blood draws, I think I'd have some issues with the whole ingesting blood thing!

BTW, I've read both Eighth Grade Bites and Ninth Grade Slays (as an ARC) and they both rock HUGE!
Sherrie
swillia4@tampabay.rr.com

StrawberryKisses said...

The Worst part of being a teenage vampire is that if someone found out and they weren't open to you, you'd have to deal with that. I know it would be bad if you were an older vampire too,but in the teenage years it's even worse because you feel more pressured. Thats my opinion.

I also want to say not to pick me for contest winner, I already bought the hoodie (It think) So give it to some more Worthy than I, I just wanted to state my opinion! thanks! =D

Anonymous said...

wow thats a tough one . . . well, i think that the worst thing would have to be worrying about the sun all the time. although i don't really like the sun even now, still it would be a real chore to have to worry about it since its . . . well . . . everywhere! also the stereotypes! argh. those would be horrible! . . . and also the whole garlic thing. i love the stuff :D

but lets move on to the good! i would love to drink blood! it may just be me, but the thought of drinking blood and having little snack packs and all is simply delightful! also, being able to hover a little and read some choice few people's thoughts. that'd be sweet! (great pranking posibilities that way)

but i think the greatest thing about being a teenage vampire would be that i would know that im an original. not a cookie cut-out of all the other people always swarming around, but a genuine original. and if i had a best friend that could keep it all secret to share it with, like vlad has henry, it would be even better!

all in all, i think the good out-weighs the bad. i'd love to be a teenage vampire! (especialy if i had the tattoo on my wrist and be able to open things using the glyphs and have my eyes turn colors!) i'd be incredibly aweosme!!!

so thats my explination! sorry if it was a little too long, but when you get me going on the subject of vampires, its incredibly hard for me to stop!

(this next part isn't to try and butter anyone up. this is my honest and true opinion and i think i sould share it) heather brewer is an amazing author. the book really made me think like a vampire throughtout it. it was brilliant!

Amy

my e-mail:
AmyDoodle@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

i love auntie heather!

tasha
serial killette

danetteb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
danetteb said...

Great interview Heather and Crystal.

For me being a teenage vampire would suck if I couldn't go to the beach in the summer sun.

Hugs, Danette
danetteb @ sunvillas.no-ip.com

anne said...

Being a teenage vampire would certainly be a challenge but then everything is in life nowadays. Perhaps it would be easier since I would have so many abilities and talents which I would love. Living forever, being capable of certain feats.
I would miss the normal interaction and pleasures with friends. I love the beach and sunshine and warmth which is so vital and meaningful to me.
It would be fascinating though.
rojosho(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Q: Would would I like like/dislike about being a teenage vampire?

I think the best part about being a teenage vampire would be having fangs, really who wouldn't want fangs? When I was little (six years old) all I wanted was to be a werewolf or vampire so I could bite my older brother when he teased me. I've been biting forever, my moms always teases me about how when I was a baby I would smile and bite people's hands. At lunch I creep everyone out by not using my hands to eat my peanut butter sandwich and just ripping the sandwich apart.

The worst part would that I would stay a kid forever(Which I am happy with completely) and adults would never treat me as a equal. There is nothing I hate more is when you say something perfectly normal and an adult will look down there nose at you like you just said the moon was made of cheese-which would be awesome because there would be a new flavor of cheese, moon cheese!

'Moldy'
Sreil912@gmail.com

~THE OPTIMISTIC PESSIMIST ~ said...

Hey Heather......... cool interview... Way to go..

~What would be your most and least favorite aspects of being a teenage vampire?

Hummmm My parents said I was a teenage vampire. They would go to bed my room would be a mess. The next morning they would wake up. I would be a sleep in a re-arranged clean room. And they would say how can you do that and not make any noise.........
So I would have to say ther were no draw backs except my skin would fry like a lobser.. but atlest I didnt burst into flames....

~Linda~

Lifkdasux@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I think that the worst thing about being a teenage vampire would be the feeling that you'll never fit in with other teenagers. They'll always know that there is something different about you. It's hard not being totally accected by your peers at that age.

The best thing would be all the time you have to read everything and anything you want. If I live to be a hundred I still won't have enough time to read all the books I want to.

tracy515h@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Loved the interview!

There would be a great deal of ups and downs that would go hand and hand being a vampire, not to mention a teenage one!

One of the dislikes would have to be the excess need to always have to put on suntan lotion, and always having pale skin! (*gasp*)

The whole power thing would be nice (floating up trees instead of trying horribly to climb one sounds fun!). Also, the whole 'never get sick' part would also be great. I hate getting sick, and so that would be a nice change.

brken_dreams@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would not like having to avoid the sun - I love the beach! Living forever could be good and bad - I wouldn't want to out live my family and friends.

I would love to win the hoodie! My son would probably try to take it.

pnc07@aol.com

Katherine said...

Great interview!

The bad part about being a vampire... I think putting on sunscreen everyday would get on my nerves. (I hate extra things I have to do in the morning!)

Being a vampire? Everything! The immortality, animal transformation, flying. :-)=

Kat
widow.spider44@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

The worst part of being a vampire, teenage or otherwise, in modern society would be the gnawing sense of paranoia that someone would discover your secret. Like the "deer in the headlights" sensation that Vlad got when his mythology project turned from werewolf to vampire; the creepy sensation that someone untrustworthy or dangerous knows something deeply personal about you.
However, all the awesome abilities that come with the vampire heritage would really put a silver lining on the dark cloud whole scenario. Levitation, Mind-reading, and although Vlad can't do it yet, Otis alluded to animorphing abilities. Presumably he meant changing into bats, but it would be super cool to change into a big black wolf (Hey, I've seen it an an old vampire movie once^_^!)

Can't wait for NGS!!

vega307@hotmail.com

Devyn said...

My least favorite part of being a teenage vampire would be the fact that if I was with friends and they got cut, I may not be able to control my hunger-which would make me seclude myself away from the general public because of the fear of hurting someone.

Devyn B
gfdevyn@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great interview as usual! The coolest thing about being a teenage vampire would be the attention you could get from your friends. The draw back is that you would be left out of the daylight hours and their activities. Even vampires need to fit in!
Michael
LingeringScholar@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hmm... I think the pros of being a teenage vampire would be knowing that you have something different from other people, and also knowing that you'd never have to age or die. And the cons would be not being able to eat food, and living forever, (which can sometimes be a bad thing).