Monday, August 25, 2008

Candace Morehouse


Author Pen Name: Same – Candace Morehouse

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

CM: I write romance in just about any form – historical, contemporary, romantic suspense, what I like to call mystery/romance. All of my plot lines feature some sort of mystery or mysterious happenings so they are more than just boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, happily every after.

I’ve tried writing straight fiction but I always interject romance – so I guess I’m just destined to stick to romance! When I was growing up in a small town, reading a romance book was my favorite thing. My best friend and I would buy books or go to the library and share our reads. I think it took us to a fantasy world, where we weren’t simply living in Small Town, USA but could step into the mind of someone more exciting and worldly. And of course there was the heroes – hunky alpha males who would sweep us away from the drudgery of real life!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

CM: When I was about 7 years old, LOL! I’ve been writing stories since I learned how to write. It wasn’t until I met and married my wonderful husband and got fired from my last “real” job, however, that I felt I could finally comfortably pursue becoming a writer/author for a living.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

CM: I’ve got to thank my sister for that. Seven years older than me, she was always doing something creative and she inspired me to do the same. In my family, everyone practiced an art of some type – playing a musical instrument, drawing, painting, etc. and with an older brother and sister it turned into a competition. For me, though, writing seemed to be the one thing I could be best at and not compared to my siblings’ talents.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

CM: Unfortunately, because I have to make some money writing freelance, I can’t always write creatively when I want to. I try to get my work done first, and then add to my current work in progress at the end of the day.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

CM: I’ve already had one release, Golden Enchantment, and it was thrilling to see it in published form for the first time. I am really looking forward to next year’s releases, Suspicion of Love (available April, 2009), an Edwardian mystery/romance, and Full Throttle (available October, 2009), a contemporary romance and first in a three-part stories, “The Women of Phoenix”.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

CM: Sticking with it from start to finish! I always have an idea in my head for the next book and sometimes it’s hard to stay on track with the current WIP and not stray off to new story lines or characters who are filling my mind and just itching to get on paper.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

CM: I love to read, of course. And I love being outdoors – fishing, hiking, playing with my dogs. My husband and I recently moved to the White Mountains of Arizona and only a short, five-minute hike away from my house I can be in the national forest. There’s even a historical site up there on the mountain behind my house where I can find dozens of pieces of old Indian pottery within minutes. Being there and exploring the old ruins is a spiritual experience for me.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

CM: So far I’ve written three books. I’d have to say my favorite was Suspicion of Love because I did a ton of research to get all the historical facts straight and really enjoyed the characters and their madcap escapades. However, Full Throttle is somewhat autobiographical, as it is based on my experience owning a motorcycle dyno, so that one is very near and dear to my heart.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

CM: I think all authors base their characters on real people, to some extent. It is from your own experiences that you create a person and their thoughts, actions, deeds, etc. and who is lifelike. If an author couldn’t do that, the reader would be not be able to relate to the characters and would probably just put the book down without finishing it.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

CM: Persevere and have patience! Know that it can sometimes take years to get published, but don’t give up. Take advice and criticism to heart, but also know when to throw out that which is not useful. If you worry about what everyone else thinks, you will never have the guts to go all the way through the publishing process.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

CM: The best way is through my website, at http://www.candacemorehouse.com/. My email address, cmmorehouse@hotmail.com is listed there as well as links directing readers to Champagne Books, where all my books can be purchased.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

CM: I’m venturing into new territory now by beginning a collaborative effort with another author I’ve become quite close to. He is going to write from the male perspective while I take over the heroine’s character. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun!

I’ve really enjoyed getting to know you over these past months, Crystal, and I appreciate the chance to be part of your forum. You provide a wonderful service for authors and readers alike.

CA: Hi Candace, Thank you and your welcome lol. It is so amazing to see that you among other authors were writers at such a young age. Good luck with your writing in the future, now have fun and behave… don’t go stirring up any trouble this week. LOL just kidding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing propels you forward into your writing career like being fired from your 'real' job. lol I like the sound of Ms Morehouse's books. I'm not a romance novel fan, but I love Romance. It seems like she writes books that have Romance in them along with a lot more going on. That's great!

Candace Morehouse said...

Cannibal - you got that right! Being fired for the first time, however, allowed me to find my true calling. Thanks for your comment - and I do hope you find More Romance!

Zulmara said...

Love this interview..romance is also my fav...in all its different appearances...it is such a cool escape...and love the mystery aspect...

Advice to young authors is great...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Bill Reinicke said...

I enjoyed reading your interview. I appreciate the advice you give to writers. I too have been writing since I was about 7 years old. I have many beginnings but no finishes. I truly know what you are talking about when you refer to the characters in your head "itching to get on paper." Your interview is inspiring.

Candace Morehouse said...

Thanks Zulmara and Bill - I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I think anyone who has been writing as long as you, Bill, knows that when it's in your blood, you just have to write!
Happy Labor Day to all!