Sunday, July 20, 2008

Interview with Miriam Newman



Author Pen Name: Miriam Newman

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

MN: I am heavily into fantasy, probably because I have never been totally in this world anyway and figure I ought to make the best of it!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

MN: About the time I learned to print.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

MN: First, the “who”: my mother. She was a well-read woman prone to correcting grammar at the breakfast table and composition at dinner. Our meals weren’t relaxed, but they were very educational! As to the “what”: the minute I set foot in Ireland, I felt everything creative in me just go into overdrive. What a place!

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

MN: It’s crazy. I have a very busy housecleaning and house sitting service specializing in everything from what to do when a can of Coke explodes in the freezer to how to feed pet llamas. When I finish with that, I have five acres full of rescue animals of my own to deal with. When that’s finally over, I write. Fortunately, I’m rather manic and don’t require much sleep.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

MN: Happy.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

MN: The biggest challenge was to ever stop. It was torture having to do the breakfast dishes, pay the bills, or go to bed. I couldn’t get that demon off my back!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

MN: I’m very much an outdoors person. For years, I fox hunted. I still follow the hounds by car whenever possible. I was training my 100 pound Labrador retriever as a gun dog until I realized that particular dog was going to do his best retrieving at Burger King. Then I adopted a hound who requires a lot of exercise and the dogs and I spend hours tromping through 2,000 acres of State Game Lands next to my house.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

MN: Confessions of the Cleaning Lady is my first book, so I would have to say it’s my current favorite.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

MN: It’s about half and half.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

MN: Just keep doing it until something works.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

MN: Right now, they can reach me by email at MrmIreland@aol.com. My book is at www.thedarkcastlelords.com and www.miriamnewman.com I am working on getting up a website and will try to get the information to you before this is printed.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

MN: Thanks for your time, Crystal! This has been a real pleasure.

CA: Miriam, thank you! I wish you tons of success in your writing and one day I hope to go to Ireland :)

17 comments:

Zulmara said...

Great title...I love it...and love her reason for writing fantasy...who is of this world??

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

drzulmara@gmail.com

Holly Greenfield said...

Wonderful interview, Miriam! I love the title of your book.

Nancy said...

What a fun interview! Kudos, Miriam and Crystal!

Not of this world and taking advantage of that? Rolling on the floor, Miriam. I'm with you!

Your books sounds wonderful - great title. My question is this. Are you really a little manic, or on a super vitamin?

Congratulations on your debut!

Light,
Nancy Haddock

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Holly and Nancy,

And, yes, I am truly more than a bit manic. I don't take any vitamins at all. I wouldn't dare!

Miriam

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun read, Miriam. Can't wait! Great title. Loved learning about your home life too.

One thing I've learned about the dust under the bed. It's always there, patiently waiting. It'll wait as long as you need to. Like until you've finished your 10th or 11th book, even!

Chicks of Characterization said...

Wonderful interview Miriam! Your cover is beautiful, and I love your title!!!

Andrea :O)

Estella said...

What a great title for a book!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Andrea and Estella! Yes, people do tend to start laughing when I tell them the title of this book.

Miriam

Anonymous said...

All the images that title conjures! Wow! I can't wait to read it and the obvious sequel, More Confessions...

OT where do you or did you fox hunt?

Anonymous said...

Miriam,

Can't wait to read your book! With your interesting background, I'm going to assume that some of your "confessions" will be from personal experience! What can we expect next from you? Release the hounds!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lee and Susan. Lee, I live in Chester Co., PA and hunted for years with a private pack with Dr. Todd Addis, who is pretty well known for his Pennmarydel Hounds. I have a hound, too (not a Pennmarydel), who is featured in the book--Delilah the Plott Hound. Hey, Susan! You bet some of my personal confessions are in that book! You have to guess which ones.

Miriam

Anonymous said...

Susan,

I realized I didn't answer your last question. My next book is actually a two-parter. Part I, The King's Daughter, is a medieval fantasy historical with romantic elements. I am seriously in love with it and hope other people will be, too.

Miriam

Anonymous said...

Miriam, We are kindred spirits! Dogs, acres, rescues, "manic"-lol. I've read your stuff and you can't put it down. Your fan, G

Anonymous said...

Hi, Gwyn,

You mean I have a twin soul? Oh, no! But, seriously, thanks!

Miriam

LadyVampire2u said...

Loved the interview. And after reading this, I'm definitely inspired to pick up your book. Thank goodness you find time to write around such a busy schedule!

Minnette Meador said...

What a wonderful interview, Miriam! It makes me want to live with you...do you have room? ~LOL~ I know your book is going to do very well! Minnette ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lady Vampire and Minnette! The release date should be in September and you can stay tuned on my website. Minnette, trust me, you wouldn't want to live here (too much dog hair), but come for a visit any time!

Miriam