Sunday, July 20, 2008

Interview with Jeff Ezell


Author Pen Name: Jeff Ezell

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

JE: Horror/Fantasy/Comedy
A large part of the reason that I write is for my own personal gratification. If I can scare myself or make myself laugh I have done what I had set out to do.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

JE: After reading The Books Of Blood by Clive Barker when I just a kid. I just kept thinking about where those stories came from. That’s when I started delving into my own demented mind and writing short stories.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

JE: My inspiration derived from the love for things that go bump in the night. The chill that runs down your spine when you realize that you’re not alone yet darkness is all that you see. I was child with a vivid imagination and I wanted to spread my fears to the ones that had found comfort. I wanted to make them twitch.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

JE: I am so random when it comes to my writing. I try to make time and clear myself of all distractions but I find that distractions lurk in many different things. I mainly write in the wee hours of the night.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

JE: Anxiety. One word can describe the whole experience for me. I pretend to be calm but it never leaves my thoughts.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

JE: I wrote Wish World while living in L.A. and I believe that my biggest challenge was trying not to let my surroundings influence my work. I tried for something different and gave each chapter its own life. I wanted it to be like an adult fairy tale. I wanted it to feel as if you could read one chapter each night and feel as if you have just completed a short story; with each chapter continuing the tale where it left off.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

JE: I love to ride horses. I also play acoustic guitar and write some of my own music. I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

JE: I have only one book written and it is “Wish World.” I also co-created a current project in the works called “The Edward Ballister Project”. You can also find my short stories in various anthologies.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

JE: Most characters are usually from my imagination but every now and again I will kill off a friend or two in my short stories. I am not sure how they feel about that though.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

JE: Writers write. That is my advice. Set aside some time and complete the project that you start. Published or not the feeling of accomplishment comes with dotting that last period.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

JE: You can contact me at www.myspace.com/wishworldthenovel or www.jayehippy@yahoo.com. You can also contact me if you are looking to purchase the book.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

JE: You can find my latest short story in Alan Draven’s Sinister Landscapes anthology.

CA: I love Alan Draven’s work so I’m sure if you’re in an anthology with him then your stories rock as well! Thanks Jeff for hanging out here this week!!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading the interview! Wish Word sounds fascinating, I love the idea of each chappy being as a mini short story.I agree, there's no greater feeling as the relief and accomplishment once you dotted that last period! Whooo hoo! Looking forward to get my hands on Sinister Landscapes, and to read more of Mr Ezell's unique talent! I feel he is indeed a name to look out for in the future.

liza Rutter said...

I enjoyed reading the interview, thank you! My god, I remember the Book of Blood by Clive Barker - wow a blast from the past!! Mr. Ezell is a talened discriptive authour, and when you read his stories, you are 'there'!! I wish him all the best for his future, which will be a great one!!

Zulmara said...

"If I can scare myself or make myself laugh I have done what I had set out to do."

I love this...and the advice for young writers...yes, JUST Write...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

drzulmara@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Bravo Jeff! Awesome interview with insight for all!

Wish I wrote Wish World..... Fascinating, chilling and humorous!

Congrats, thanks for the advise and looking forward to more of Jeff Enzell's works of art!

windycindy said...

Good luck with your book! Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Debby said...

I loved reading the interview. I am hopping over to the my space and check out some more