Monday, January 28, 2008

Interview with Tracy Mellor




Tracy Mellor is the author of Walk Backwards in Your Mind. A lovely collection of poetry. “Her work can best be described as "striking, modern poetry with a visual flair...a fountain of feelings that make you think” –Quote from Tracy’s profile on authorsden.com

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

TM: I write poetry, exclusively. I write poems not only to express myself and my experiences, but hopefully to reach out and connect with others through what I write.


CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

TM: My talent for writing expressed itself early on in childhood, and developed into poetry starting in my adolescence. I have always wanted to be a writer. I feel like it's a central part of who I am. My writing, particularly in the past 3 years, became stronger and more prolific. People were urging me to publish my writing, which I hadn't seriously considered in the past. I decided to finally make the leap, and publish my first poetry book, in 2007. I anticipate publishing my next book during the first half of 2008.


CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

TM: My inspiration comes mainly from relationships - love found, lost, and anywhere in between. I also write a lot of material that talks about things I have gone through, or am going through, in life. Sometimes inspiration comes to me in the form of people-watching; other times I "see" a vivid picture of something and feel compelled to write about it. I guess you could say my inspiration is diverse and far-reaching.


CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

TM: I don't work within any given structure. I write as ideas come to me. I think a set schedule would cause me to have writers' block indefinitely!


CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

TM: Excited!


CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

TM: I enjoy reading, listening to music, singing, and watching movies.


CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

TM: I wrote and published "Walk Backwards In Your Mind" last year. It is my only book thus far, but as I mentioned, I anticipate publishing a second book of poetry in early 2008.


CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

TM: Partially based in reality, partially fiction. It depends on my mood, what is going on in my life, and what I feel inspired by. A lot of poems are what I call "composites" - meaning that they are not explicitly based on one thing or person in particular, but maybe a handful of different ideas and thoughts rolled up into one.


CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?


TM: You can visit my website on MySpace devoted to my book to contact me and get more information on where the book is available. The site is:
www.myspace.com/walkbackwardsinyourmind

CA: Thank you so much for interviewing with me this week Tracy! If you would like to read my review of Ms. Mellor’s poetry Walk Backwards in Your Mind, go to this link: http://bookreviewsbycrystal.blogspot.com/2007/09/walk-backwards-in-your-mind-by-tracy.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy, I just wanted to say I think I would enjoy your poetry very much.

Anonymous said...

Delightful reading your interview my dear! Bobby R.